Drying out closed chambers to eliminate mold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
No matter what I do, I still get mold in my closed chamber enclosure. My enclosure is a modified zoo med house (6'x2', just added the second tort house today). I just can't avoid the mold. Even with the temps on the entire enclosure being where they should, it comes back. The wood is sealed but that doesn't stop anything.

My question is, would opening the enclosure up and letting it air out and 'dry' once or twice a week help eliminate mold issues.? Does anyone have a system they use to prevent mold? ImageUploadedByTortForum1369721810.386838.jpg

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

Last edited by a moderator:

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
I also have two zoomed houses connected. I sometimes have 80-90% humidity and the only time I have had an issue with mould is when I didn't have the roof covered in waterproof material. I covered it and haven't had a mould problem since.
What do you use to protect the wood? I use a shower curtain all around.

You could try dying it out once a week, but the problem will just return and then you have to build your humidity up all over again. You need to try and stop the problem from happening.
As a side note, what a great enclosure!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is the mold on the wood or substrate? If its the substrate, coconut coir will not mold. Also be sure your cleaning out any uneaten food and poops. If its the wood that is molding, it may need to be sealed better.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
LeopardTortLover said:
I also have two zoomed houses connected. I sometimes have 80-90% humidity and the only time I have had an issue with mould is when I didn't have the roof covered in waterproof material. I covered it and haven't had a mould problem since.
What do you use to protect the wood? I use a shower curtain all around.

You could try dying it out once a week, but the problem will just return and then you have to build your humidity up all over again. You need to try and stop the problem from happening.
As a side note, what a great enclosure!

The top is usually the only spot it comes also, I'll have to cover it. I don't remember what I used but I used a few coats of sealant. I may or may not get that spray on liner and just spray the entire inside down with it.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

abclements

5 Year Member
I just used shower caulk and that pretty much eliminated all of the mold problems for me. I just covered all of the open wood areas in the shower caulk and I haven't had a problem with warping wood or mold since! It was a long tedious process though...

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Yeah, don't forget that humidity rises upwards and stops when it reaches a surface (your roof) obviously. So this place has the most potential to mould. Mine was so bad it had turned Blue! I noticed and removed it all just in time to save the wood.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
LeopardTortLover said:
Yeah, don't forget that humidity rises upwards and stops when it reaches a surface (your roof) obviously. So this place has the most potential to mould. Mine was so bad it had turned Blue! I noticed and removed it all just in time to save the wood.

Within a week it had gotten so bad that it turned blue too! There was black blue and white. And a little green. It was nasty.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
My humidity in my enclosure is always 80%+ and I've never had it mold. I did 4 coats of a latex paint and used caulking on all the corners so that may help. At the top I also have 4 computer fans that regulate temp and allow fresh air in even when turned off. Try wiping down the molding areas with white vinegar and if possible, leave in the sun to dry out while your tort is elsewhere.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I am thinking the wood needs to be sealed better.

My closed chamber is a glass tank with a screen lid covered in plastic. I have not once had mold. None.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
This weekend I need modify the second half to look like the first half, so I am going to reseal everything. I already have two coats on the first half which has had the mold, maybe it needs more.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

Status
Not open for further replies.