DT brumaters thread 2013-2014

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
All sounds fine as you describe....and when you weight them will you try to get a pic of their little faces (without waking/bothering them that is :D)....

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
At their 4-week weigh-in today, neither Gomez nor Morticia had lost even 1/10th of an oz. Both torts were responsive to touch, and both are still completely inside their shells. They look dry to me, but because their weight hasn't changed and their temps were very cool this week, I'm opting not to do a soak this week.

Here are pix. Let me know what you think. Do they look in need of a soak to you?

Gomez: ImageUploadedByTortForum1386536311.962368.jpg

Morticia: ImageUploadedByTortForum1386536330.875581.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Look aok to me.....if they are resting appropriately then I would not jump start them with a soak.....you have been able to see their eyes and if all looks good there they you will likely be ok with letting them continue their beauty sleep....:D

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
ascott said:
Look aok to me.....if they are resting appropriately then I would not jump start them with a soak.....you have been able to see their eyes and if all looks good there they you will likely be ok with letting them continue their beauty sleep....:D

Good to know, thanks. Alas, I haven't seen their eyes since the first week they were down. They stay tucked in, even when I tickle, just flinching a bit but never showing their faces.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Ahhhh, thatrebecca, they are all snug, tight. Isn't it just so mind blowing that they basically shut down, play possum during these months? The whole thing still boggles my mind. Night night babies.

Any Gopherus-Go-Go girls or guys out there wanna share how your tortoises are doing in their slumber. Anyone losing weight and having to soak? Anyone having to bring them back and keeping them up for whatever reason?

My neighbor has been keeping track of her CDT and it is averaging a temp of mid 50's to mid to high 60's, a few times 70's (those hot days we had) in a box within a box in the garage. She is worried about reserves being used too soon. I do not know if it has lost any weight, will have to ask her.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Holy cow, the temp in the torts's freezer got down to 41 last night, as we had a nighttime low in the mid 30s. I like keeping them cool, but that's about as cool as I want it to go.

BeeBee, your neighbor's temps seem a little high. My understanding is we should try to keep them bet 40-55. I think a warm day here or there isn't a bother, but consistently warm is.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
thatrebecca said:
BeeBee, your neighbor's temps seem a little high. My understanding is we should try to keep them bet 40-55. I think a warm day here or there isn't a bother, but consistently warm is.

Thanks thatrebecca. Yes, that's what I thought. I got a temp gun for her and asked her to please shoot that infrared and let's see what they are averaging. I like hearing about your progress and consistent temperatures in the fridge you got for your little Addams Family values! (snaps fingers, twice).

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, it's a warm one here in LA -- 83 degrees in the back yard today. And tomorrow is supposed to get up to 85. It's got me wondering if this would be a good time for a brumation break soak.

Torts are at 47 degrees today in their freezer and at their 5-week weigh-in point, Morticia has lost 1/10th of an oz since last week and Gomez's weight is no different.

To soak or not to soak: that is the question.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If their weight is holding ...my gut would say to let them rest....again, that is just my thoughts...you will need to determine what your gut is telling you to do dear...:D

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
ascott said:
If their weight is holding ...my gut would say to let them rest....again, that is just my thoughts...you will need to determine what your gut is telling you to do dear...:D

Yep, that's what my gut said too. Somehow it seems like it would be stressful to be waked up and then put back down. And since their setup is maintaining good temps and good weights, I'm gonna let them be.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Today marks 6 weeks, which is officially our halfway point if all goes as planned on our first brumation together. I'm pleased to report that no one has lost even 1/10th of an ounce in the last 3 weeks. I'm not even sure how that's possible, but I guess that's part of the wonder of tortoises.

This was the first time when I checked on them that one of the torts-- Gomez-- came of out his shell and I was able see his eyes, which were closed.

I decided to give them a tepid 20-minute soak in the darkness of the shed. The first thing they both did was fart. Gomez was content in there the whole time but Morticia scrambled to get out after 10 minutes so I took her out early. Both torts opened their eyes after a couple moments in the soak. Now they're drying off before going back in their boxes. They're pretty dopey. One thing that concerned me was some whiteness around Gomez's eyes.

Darn the app isn't letting me upload pix. I'd like to show you Gomez's eye to hear what folks think. It looked like what I look like in the morning when I have 'sleep' in my eye.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reloaded the app and got pix to work. Here's what Gomez's eye looks like:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387757342.759587.jpg

And here is Morticia:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387757410.204006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Awwwww! Gomez's face, so whatcha talking about Willis cute. Morticia, so out of it. Bless their little resting hearts! : )

Haha you're so right, BeeBee. Gomez gave me the ultimate WTF face.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would pull them out and set them up in a warm environment. Here is why;

The eyes are such an indicator of possible issues (not something that you have done but likely already quietly present and likely "likely" related to stress)

Whitish stuff around the eyes can be an indicator of a variety of things...of which I will not guess as guessing does nothing.

Now, you can likely leave them be and do nothing and will they survive....sure, they can, this is a forgiving species that can endure alot---but keep in mind you do not know what all they endured before coming to you... if you pull them please slowly wake them (please do this process very slowly especially if the eyes are not desirable) you can better evaluate them.....and if their eyes are not great, this is what I would do....again, simply what I would do. I mean, this is your first trial run and it is not uncommon for a shorter brumation to be offered for the first time around....

Taco-Taco

I know I should probably read all 10 pages of this thread but I'm an absolute wreck right now. I am so worried about our little dude. He's probably 1 yo or less as he is so small. I've read he may be too young to fully hibernate so we've kept him topside but I am a new DT mommy and I miss my active, ravenous lil dude. He wont eat and I suppose that is my major concern. Its been about a week since he last ate & since then has had some mega mondo poops (in the water bowl). I really need some words of hope here as I wipe my tears away.
This morning he looked like a clay figurine: very dry...so i gave him a quick bath. Figured he may get a bit of water down. He is so little and helpless & feel completely out of my element here as a mom; I feel helpless myself, not knowing what the heck to expect or to do.
I'm in So Cal where it's hot today. I brought him out and he walked about some but still no nibbling so I bathed him, wrapped in warm towel & put in his habitat.
What should I be doing? When can I expect him to eat again? Seriously, 2 months sounds so long wihtout food of any sort.
I don't want to lose this little guy but fear I'm not going to be able to keep him properly & maybe we should find him a proper home. Someone who has done this before & knows what they are doing. I want Taco-taco to live & thrive.
Any words of wisdom or advice will be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
He is responding to the winter and the shorter days and basically trying to go into a brumation stage BUT he is less than a year old, you just got him and you really should set him up to be up and NOT going into brumination/hibernation. That means his habitat indoors must have lights on 12-14 hours a day as if it was spring-summer time and keeping his temperatures up. Also, because temps are up, you also want to make sure his habitat has the humidity going on as if he was in the desert in a burrow, or under plant pallets where despite it being a desert, humidity exists. This keeps baby from being dessicated and jerky. Even though it is hot, our days are winter short and just like trees losing their green leaves and turning color, not by hot or not, but by length of days, your CDT is reacting to that, albeit confusingly. Also, soak daily. They must stay hydrated. When in brumation, they have to have empty stomachs which is why your baby has been releasing everything from inside. Empty stomach-full bladder I think moderator Jacqui wrote on a thread. Perfectly said. BUT again, keep that baby up this year. To be sure you do not mess up and lose him. Better safe, than sad-sad-sad. Today is a perfect day to get those big huge Christmas tree boxes on sale. That would be a good way to go to create a closed chamber for baby in the next week. Or if you have any aquarium, time to close her up and get those lights on for 12-14 hours. Also, when it is sunny, like today at 83 degrees, outside for 15-20 minutes, supervised for the free UVB from the sun that is vital for them to get that D3 and to get strong bones and shells. Hope this helps. Breathe. And proceed. For baby. Keep us posted.

Taco-Taco

Hi again. I do appreciate your help. This is my last post. Our lil dude passed away last night. Obviously he didn't get what he needed but I did try so very hard. I just don't think he was strong enough. We are all extremely sad here. Again, I thank you.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi again. I do appreciate your help. This is my last post. Our lil dude passed away last night. Obviously he didn't get what he needed but I did try so very hard. I just don't think he was strong enough. We are all extremely sad here. Again, I thank you.

Sometimes they just don't thrive....there are so many variables that little one likely faced ever before arriving with you....Rest in peace little :tort: