DT brumaters thread 2013-2014

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Oh man. I am so very sorry. Angela is right. So much before one gets them can trigger it. They are fragile in a sense. I am sad with you. : (

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Taco-Taco said:
Hi again. I do appreciate your help. This is my last post. Our lil dude passed away last night. Obviously he didn't get what he needed but I did try so very hard. I just don't think he was strong enough. We are all extremely sad here. Again, I thank you.

I'm so sorry! You're in my thoughts.

ascott said:
I would pull them out and set them up in a warm environment. Here is why;

The eyes are such an indicator of possible issues (not something that you have done but likely already quietly present and likely "likely" related to stress)

Whitish stuff around the eyes can be an indicator of a variety of things...of which I will not guess as guessing does nothing.

Now, you can likely leave them be and do nothing and will they survive....sure, they can, this is a forgiving species that can endure alot---but keep in mind you do not know what all they endured before coming to you... if you pull them please slowly wake them (please do this process very slowly especially if the eyes are not desirable) you can better evaluate them.....and if their eyes are not great, this is what I would do....again, simply what I would do. I mean, this is your first trial run and it is not uncommon for a shorter brumation to be offered for the first time around....

Angela, I'm sorry I'm just answering. Thanks so much for your input. We've had quite a week, as my 4-year-old niece is here staying with us and my husband surprised me with a dog for Christmas.

With everything going on including needing to dog-proof our tort enclosures, I decided to let Gomez and Morticia stay down a little longer. But I'm now preparing their space for wake up. In the meantime, they continue to hold their weight, and respond to touch with a reassuring twitch.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I haven't been on here in a while cause our DTs have been down since Nov. 10 and we adopted a new puppy at Christmas who's been keeping us very busy.

But now that we've built the torts a nice, dog-proof enclosure -- we have an area of the yard with 6-foot fencing separate from the rest we are able to use -- we'd like to wake them up.

Our wakeup plan is to transition their boxes from the non-working freezer they've been in (about 45-50 degrees) to a warmer location like a shady spot in the yard for a few hours, then to offer a tepid soak, and finally to put them outdoors midday on one of those gorgeous, sunny days that are customary here in LA. At night they'll be sleeping inside until we reach summery nighttime temps.

Naturally, the very week we plan to wake them is the week forecasters say LA will get its heaviest rains in two years. :/ I'm grateful for the much-needed rain but it's not great timing for our wake-up plan. Should we delay a few days until weather improves? So far we have raised them without the use of additional heat such as basking lamps or CHEs, but we can buy those things if we'll need them.

We adopted them last April, so this is our first wake up with them.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
"Gorgeous weather"?! I dont think so m' dear. Thunderstorms from late Wednesday to late Monday. No nice warm weather for a few weeks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well of course the weather now decides to go wet....lol....the men folk here are still in their boxes and sound clear and not mucking about, so they are going to remain as is until the wet cold weather predicted, either comes and goes or is a wash :)D)....

If they were fussing then I would have to do what is necessary but since they don't seem to want to be up, all will remain as is for now.

If I were you, and the torts are good, I personally would hold off a bit and see what comes of the weather....then go from there....it is a day or two process here when I bring the men folk out, the gradual temp and light process for them takes a day and then right before I set them loose they get a long soak....

You are there and are the one that has been watching them on and off during this process, so you are the one who ultimately will determine what your gut feeling tells you to do, you know what I mean?

nancykj

5 Year Member
hi all!
so, my big DT Ares woke up last week in his box in the garage. He was moving about, so I took him out and put him in his outdoor pen, where he is eating and drinking water and enjoying himself. the little guy Joxer woke up this past weekend, tho not as lively as Ares. So, he got a good soak, walked around his new digs, went into his outdoor burrow and I think back to sleep!
now will come big rain! (I live in the western san Fernando valley). My plan is to leave them outside, they should be fine in their cinderblock burrows, I think. I will cover the burrows with tarps, but they have wood "roofs", alfalfa hay inside to snuggle into, and should be comfy. this is by far the earliest they have woken up.
not sure that Joxer really wanted to be entirely up, but I think he should be fine outside now if he wants to go back to sleep for a while.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Hey Nancy! I was wondering about your guys, since we both have that SF Valley climate going on. Mine haven't awakened, but their hibernacle has been a constant 40-50, so they haven't experienced our mild winter at all.

Reticguy76, since mine are housed in a way where they can't come out on their own (double boxed in a non-working chest freezer), I have to make a decision for them at some point. My plan had been to bring them out this week, but since I'd be bringing them out to cold & rain, it doesn't seem right. I'll let them stay down till the rain passes trhough.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
thatrebecca said:
I haven't been on here in a while cause our DTs have been down since Nov. 10 and we adopted a new puppy at Christmas who's been keeping us very busy.

But now that we've built the torts a nice, dog-proof enclosure -- we have an area of the yard with 6-foot fencing separate from the rest we are able to use -- we'd like to wake them up.

Our wakeup plan is to transition their boxes from the non-working freezer they've been in (about 45-50 degrees) to a warmer location like a shady spot in the yard for a few hours, then to offer a tepid soak, and finally to put them outdoors midday on one of those gorgeous, sunny days that are customary here in LA. At night they'll be sleeping inside until we reach summery nighttime temps.

Naturally, the very week we plan to wake them is the week forecasters say LA will get its heaviest rains in two years. :/ I'm grateful for the much-needed rain but it's not great timing for our wake-up plan. Should we delay a few days until weather improves? So far we have raised them without the use of additional heat such as basking lamps or CHEs, but we can buy those things if we'll need them.

We adopted them last April, so this is our first wake up with them.

Mine are all awake now (on their own.) They have a dog house with a heating mat inside the garage. I leave the back door open every morning and they are free to wander out in the yard and graze (which they have been doing.) In the evening most of them make it back to the dog house in the garage. I make sure they are all on the heat mat at dusk every night. This week I will leave the door open, even with the expected rain, and they will do their own thing. Sometimes they enjoy a good rain, and will go out to graze, but again, I make sure everyone is dry and warm before it gets cold and dark. Hope that was helpful!! :)

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Orange County, CA
My old man (50+) woke up yesterday to go out and enjoy the rain water. He stayed out all day and sunbathed after the rain had stopped until sunset and went back in his enclosure. Today we are suppose to get rain all day, we will see if he or the other two come out.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Guess who's up! I did a slow warm up over a period of 4 hours this morning -- moved their brumation boxes from the fridge (48 degrees) to the shed (57) to the back yard shade (67). Both torts got a tepid soak and are now out roaming the sunny sides of their new enclosures. (75).ImageUploadedByTortForum1393968553.946184.jpg Both of their eyes were slightly puffy, which dissipated in the soak. Otherwise things seem good. I'll be bringing them inside at about 4pm. It's still too cool for overnighting outside for these guys.

Here's a peek of Gomez (upper) and Morticia (lower).

Last edited by a moderator:

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Oh, and this surprised me: after about an hour of sunning, Morticia ate some hibiscus. I thought they'd need more time before they'd want food. Gomez hasn't shown any interest yet.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Second day out of their brumation boxes and they both ate! I'm kind of surprised cause I thought they'd need more time. Both seem healthy, if a little low energy (gee, I wonder how much energy I'd have after a 4-month fast). The puffiness around the eyes is gone.

I've read that one of the most dangerous times for torts that brumate is the first week or two after they wake, so I'm cautiously optimistic that our first winter together has been a success, and I'm hoping Mother Nature continues to cooperate with these warm, sunny days.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Small heads up -
Tomorrow is supposed to be cloudy, so don't except basking weather.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very happy to hear....eating is a good thing, some do it straight away and some take a bit longer....so good stuff :D

I would just make sure that you offer a few days of warm water soaks at least a couple time a day (since they are small/young)....

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
ascott said:
Very happy to hear....eating is a good thing, some do it straight away and some take a bit longer....so good stuff :D

I would just make sure that you offer a few days of warm water soaks at least a couple time a day (since they are small/young)....

Good to know, thanks! I gave them a soak on day 1, but hadn't planned another till the weekend. I guess I should step it up.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Good to know, thanks! I gave them a soak on day 1, but hadn't planned another till the weekend. I guess I should step it up.

Keep in mind, my OCD takes over on some things and so sharing just what I would do to feel assured they get as juicy as possible...:p

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
ascott said:

Keep in mind, my OCD takes over on some things and so sharing just what I would do to feel assured they get as juicy as possible...:p

Morticia thanks you for your OCD. Here she is asleep during her 45-minute soak this morning.ImageUploadedByTortForum1394131654.306462.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: