DT with runny nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
One of my DTs has had a runny nose for a while. He did a round of Baytril and didn't get better, so I had him tested. It turned out he had psuedomonas auriginosis (not sure if that's spelled right.) The vet prescribed ciprofloxacin which he has been on for at least 2 weeks with no improvement. Now another one of my DTs has a runny nose (they have been quarantined.) I started her on cipro as well, but still runny. What is my next step? Another round of Baytril? Doxycicline?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
pseudomonas aeruginosa? I am not nitpicking I am just trying to get correct info. It seems like it is everywhere according to wiki, which I usually do not use as a source. Sadly I could not find any good treatments for it. it said it is in the soil, plants, basically everywhere.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
From what info I could find--- Baytril and Cipro are very similar in composition and commonly used to treat Pseudomonas Aeruginosa infections. There might not be a need for another change in antibiotic---maybe just an increase in duration, as this type of bacteria can be hard to get under control. Since a culture was done, this type of Pseudomonas is found pretty much everywhere, as "dmmj"has mentioned,and gets OUT-OF-CONTROL because the immune system is already compromised--- in tortoises, it is USUALLY because of colder than normal temps[that starts the "runny nose" and then the Pseudo takes over]. I know you said you have isolated this DT from the others you have, but is it in a "hospital-type" isolation? Along with the antibiotic treatment, it is important to "create" an especially "clean" set-up. Substrate with a low "dust" composition, access to clean drinking water, and most importantly, higher temps to help the immune system kick-in to work with the antibiotic.
The only other thing,I want to mention, I wouldn't just automatically treat the "other" tortoise without being sure it is for the same Pseudomonas. Although the symptoms may appear the same--- the actual treatment may be entirely different for the second DT. JMT
P.S. Perhaps an x-ray may determine if the original illness has progressed into a secondary infection[Pneumonia] which may require additional measures to see improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.