Dust free indoor bedding and humidity for large sulcatas

Ljanderson

Location (City and/or State)
St Peters
I'm at a loss because I've used orchid bark or cypress mulch and neither was ever dusty. Do you still have one of the bags you could show us?
I'm at a loss because I've used orchid bark or cypress mulch and neither was ever dusty. Do you still have one of the bags you could show us?
No I don't. I just ordered the big bags from Petco. It isn't dusty when I get it but after they trample it, lol, it turns to dust. I'll take a pic if I order it again.

Ljanderson

St Peters
There is nothing wrong with 'fine' grade orchid bark. That's what most keepers use.
You gonna leave because of my opinion? I didn't say a damn thing wrong. I will not coddle some one who in my opinion is abusing Sulcata tortoises. I wasn't rude. I'm supposed to be impressed because you're a VT? Ha! I got my certificate some 30 years go. I operate a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue. I love Sulcata tortoises, they walk for miles in the wild graze and nap, they can't do that in your house. I really don't care about how you have them set up. There are so many reasons why you are doing wrong. So because you evidently are one of those people who need babying and I'm not that kinda person, I won't comment anymore after this. Honestly.
This is where I keep 2 big tortoises, it the PNW. We have snow, ice, fog, and 7 months of just crappy weather, I know about keeping big tortoises in the snow, so don't be so condescending to me.
This is how I keep big tortoises in sno country...no sno now obviously now. It's in the high 30's to 40 degrees. My shed stays a constant 85 ambient degrees, there's a basking light for each tort, a sleeping box with pig blankets, a humidifier and each is separate from the other with their own outside pen.
I'm sorry you took me the wrong way, I am a blunt bottom line type of person. I don't baby, but I didn't think I was rude.
Here's a winter view of the shed...
View attachment 315114
It's 20'x12'. I open doggie doors every morning, and they have the choice to go in or out.
View attachment 315115View attachment 315116View attachment 315117
So yours live in a shed all winter? How is that better than a large room in my house? Being blunt and a bottom line kinda person is wonderful if you you can do it kindly. "Coddle ", "babying" "abusing" is rude. Take it somewhere else. I simply asked what other use. I don't have to compete with you and its laughable when people need this kind of attention.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Yea a thicker layer would probably help. The flooring is water proof so its great for not absorbing moisture or urine. When I pour water on their substrate and stir it around I have tons of dust so I'm looking for material to use that is less dusty than retibark. Thanks ?
Orchid bark is the best. No splinters , no dust, and I have used it since I got my Sully.
He is now outside with a 4x4 heated box. He comes out in the frost and rain then goes back to get warm. Please listen to the advice you are being given. These members KNOW what they are telling you from experience.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I give u props for what what ur doing.. its not easy raising a sully in a cold weather climate and i can see ur doing ur best. Do ur thing. Maybe make a heated box with humidity inside the room ur keeping him in

Ljanderson

St Peters
Orchid bark is the best. No splinters , no dust, and I have used it since I got my Sully.
He is now outside with a 4x4 heated box. He comes out in the frost and rain then goes back to get warm. Please listen to the advice you are being given. These members KNOW what they are telling you from experience.
Thats good to know. And why the comment about listening to these people? I've replied and noted everyone's opinions from this thread and greatly appreciate any info.