eagle picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
this one was taken quite some time ago. a very lazy day fishing, not much happening. We watched this eagle for what seemed like hours. It perched high on a cliff overlooking the area we were fishing. I had my pentax 50mm with a zoom telephoto, waiting, with the telephoto to max.. finally, after what seemed like an all day wait, the eagle took off, soared down and smacked the water. I can't tell if it picked anything up (don't think so). I would really like a better telephoto lens. This is the best I can get for this shot, any bigger it just doesn't look right.
wqy6qg.jpg

again, right time, fair pic, wishing for different circumstances. someday, someday.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I used to really enjoy going fishing (when the kids behaved themselves). Kinda', sorta' miss those days. How lucky you were to see an eagle in real life! Did you catch any fish?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sharkstar, what a beautiful picture! Was this at Woods Canyon Lake? I know they have nesting eagles there pretty much year round.
During my most recent trip to the White Mountains, we were by the Crecent Lake area and we would watch the male eagle there fly around the lake to look for fish. One of the people that sit there and watch them all day(forest rangers?) were there with his telescope. He let us use it to see the female and baby in the tree, it was a great experience!

Do you fish often?

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Thanks for your kind comments. That particular shot was at Canyon Lake quite some years ago. We waited a long, warm afternoon (no breeze) for this eagle to do his thing. It was on the 'old fashioned' pentax camera with film. imagine.. film. Anyway we caught no fish that trip.

This next picture was taken the next lake down in the system - Sagurao lake. It was a beautiful morning and I lucked out with this eagle, but not so lucky with motion artifact. I'm wishing I'd had the old fashioned pentax that takes the picture I want, not the one the camera thinks about..... Do you see the long slightly different color thing hanging from the eagles talons? Its a huge flathead catfish. They were smacking the surface of the water, and of course, not biting. Eagle took breakfast home to the nest.

baldeagle.jpg

osprey.jpg

DSCN1802.jpg

we fish as often as we can, but this year was spotty. We favor Willow springs lake during summer months, and have seen the eagles, mostly going from "here" to "there", and have had most fun watching the osprey fish. They BANG the water so hard.. It is truely beautiful on the rim. sigh. wish I weren't at work. wish a lot of things.
Happy halloween.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Wow I didn't think the eagles got down as low as Canyon Lake or Sagurao.

Indeed the rim is beautiful, getting pretty crowded there though in recent years...

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
we have breeding pairs of desert sub-type bald eagles, and they really love the lakes / reservoirs east of town. And up on the rim. They were recently de-listed from the endangered species list. lawsuit I think over that.. I've some pics I need to dig up and I think one in the old pentax - need to take another snap or 2 and get the roll in to develope.

regards

chadk

10 Year Member!
Eagles and Ospreys are very common around here. I have seen over 100 bald eagles in one area while salmon fishing.

A few years ago while I was at the park with the kids, an eagle and an osprey had an epic battle over a trout the osprey had caught right over our heads. A bunch of people were just standing there watching as they fought and stole it from each other. The best part was when the eagle lunged at the osprey and made it drop the fish. Then as the fish fell heading right down on top of the folks watching, the eagle dove down and snatched it about 20ft above their heads.

Other times we have watched the eagles mating over the lake. They come together and cling to each other with their claws facing eachother - looking like they are fighting... Then they swirl seemingly out of control dropping fast toward the water. They break up just in time to fly back up and sometimes do it again... Man, talk about pressure... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.