Earliest Signs Observed Of Pyramiding?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
So I could have sworn I read in the forums a some point, someone's post saying that they adopted baby hatchlings ( I cannot remember what kind.) that were only like 8 months old and already showed pyramiding! Anyone else ever see hatchlings actually exhibit pyramiding that early? Earlier?

I'm just glad my little girl seems to be growing healthy. I need to get into my old email and track down her exact birth date to confirm that she is a little more than a year old. I was worried that I have never seen pyramiding before except in pics of adult animals on the internet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, my own little hatched out leopard. She will be a year this month. However, l noticed some pyramiding early one. I can't remember what age, but it was only a few months. Of course she is in a closed chamber since birth and was incubated with a high humidity. She since then has stopped and is smoothing out. Have no idea, why, in such high humidity, over 80% she still pyramided. It sure can start very young in wrong conditions and some are even a little prone to it in great conditions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. You can see it as soon as the baby's shell starts growing. If it's a dry, hot environment, the new growth is sort of lowered, pushing up that first, original scute. And the growth from then on is on a slant going upwards to that original scute.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can see it in hatchlings as a deep notch forming between the scutes. You can almost stick your thumbnail in the crevice.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Because I have read about stretching between scutes being a sign of really fast growth. Is that a real thing?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
WOW! That is one amazing thread! Very educational.
My girl had some stretching from excessive food it sounds like. Whew! Paranoia was making me worry.

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
Looks fine. Don't see much in the way of growth just yet. Fresh slate. Just keep humidity up and soak every day for the first year or so and regularly thereafter to prevent a whole host of issues--not only pyramiding. I've found that as tortoises gain mass, they don't seem to dehydrate as easily or as quickly, meaning that from a shell disformity standpoint, obsessive attention to watering your animals can eventually slacken some. If you can get yours up to 5-6" and smooth you shouldn't have any problems with pyramiding and you can relax and let him spend more time in an outside enclosure during good weather instead of in the humid chamber all the time. image.jpeg Here's one of mine, which overall has received excellent care, but which I think experienced lower humidity over last winter, while still receiving food like mazuri which accelerates growth. It's a mild case, but it's there. New growth over the summer where I felt comfortable bumping the humidity up is coming in much smoother again.

jim taylor

Morrisville pa
I got my sulcata at 5 months old and he was already starting to pyramid. It wasn't a huge amount but it also wasn't brand new. So I can't really say if it started rite out of the egg or couple weeks in but it didn't happen over night.

Janelle Green

Colorado
Yes I got my baby Russians with little pyramiding there a year old December 5th I have stopped their pyramiding luckily but they'll always have that little bit now. I believe my babies pyramided because she didn't have the enclosure humid enough and to crowded just not excellent care.theres a good video on pyramiding by Kamp Kenan on YouTube also a great video of baby tortoise care by him :) image.jpeg

Janelle Green

Colorado
Yes, my own little hatched out leopard. She will be a year this month. However, l noticed some pyramiding early one. I can't remember what age, but it was only a few months. Of course she is in a closed chamber since birth and was incubated with a high humidity. She since then has stopped and is smoothing out. Have no idea, why, in such high humidity, over 80% she still pyramided. It sure can start very young in wrong conditions and some are even a little prone to it in great conditions.
I saw the pyramiding video by Kamp kenan and he said they can just get a little from being in captivity , I've been watching a lot of his videos I love him lol