Early pyramiding ?

anthonyludo8

5 Year Member
Hello everybody , this is my Sonny . He's about 6 months old I just got him a few months ago and was worried that he's showing early signs of pyramiding . His shell doesn't look bad but it looks like the scutes are slightly projecting . I just wanted to make sure it was nothing to worry about , since I'm such a worry wart with him . Here's a pic for reference if you guys could give me some opinions . Thanks !

ImageUploadedByTortForum1395958681.065399.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, that actually is quite a bit of pyramiding for such a small baby. If you've been keeping him in the moist and humid environment, then all I can say is he must have been kept very dry before you got him. Sometimes if the pyramiding has started the shell continues to grow at that angle for a while even though his environment has changed.

anthonyludo8

5 Year Member
tffnytorts said:
Sonny is indeed pyramiding. Not just the beginning of it either. Read Tom's thread, and make changes accordingly.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/showthread.php?tid=79895
He's still a lovely little tort, though. I love how dark his growth is, and how it contrasts with the pale scutes.
Welcome to the forum!

Thank you ! Do you think the diet has anything to do with it ? Or is it predominantly the environment ?

Yvonne G said:
Yes, that actually is quite a bit of pyramiding for such a small baby. If you've been keeping him in the moist and humid environment, then all I can say is he must have been kept very dry before you got him. Sometimes if the pyramiding has started the shell continues to grow at that angle for a while even though his environment has changed.

Thank you Yvonne , I got him off craigslist I'm not sure his environment before I got him . The guy was moving and I felt bad for the tort , I care for two older sulcatas at work

anthonyludo8

5 Year Member
New changes ; thanks everybody !

Hello everybody , yesterday I posted a picture of my baby Sonny who was starting to pyramid already due to a lack of humidity . Although I spray the tank frequently , when I'm not home it can go hours without being sprayed and I think that's why the tank was so dry . So I went out today and got the monsoon rs400 which will spray the tank down on a timer to keep the humidity ! Here's a pic so everyone can see the set up , thanks to everyone gain for the feedback . I'm sure my little sonny will be much happier now =)
ImageUploadedByTortForum1396033480.342670.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitneyrae

RE: New changes ; thanks everybody !

keep us posted on how it works! Sonny is adorable :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: New changes ; thanks everybody !

I just realized you have the same name as the new CEO of Home Town Buffet. His commercial drives me crazy because they play it over and over again, "Hello, I'm Anthony Ludo, the new CEO of Home Town Buffet...blah, blah, blah."

Any relation?

Nice to see that you've taken our advice. Let us know how it works out.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Are you still using 20W compact fluorescent UV bulb or MVB?
What are you using for night heat?

anthonyludo8

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
I just realized you have the same name as the new CEO of Home Town Buffet. His commercial drives me crazy because they play it over and over again, "Hello, I'm Anthony Ludo, the new CEO of Home Town Buffet...blah, blah, blah."

Any relation?

Nice to see that you've taken our advice. Let us know how it works out.

Haha no relation ! That is funny though , mines short for ludovici . and thank you I will !

mikeh said:
Are you still using 20W compact fluorescent UV bulb or MVB?
What are you using for night heat?

No I've actually used the same light since the beginning , it's a 100w powersun bulb so it has the basking/UVB in one . It was suggested by someone on the site and I've read good reviews . At night I'm just using a regular night time heat lamp . What do you suggest ?

anthonyludo8

5 Year Member
Here's a better pic of him , I love his colors

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1396057772.048917.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1396057772.048917.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 73

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
anthonyludo8 said:
At night I'm just using a regular night time heat lamp . What do you suggest ?

A ceramic heat emitter that is controlled by a thermostat is very effective for providing night time heat as well as ambient heat during the day. A 60 watt CHE might be enough for your enclosure. Get a thermostat that can handle multiple heat sources. You will need it as your tortoise grows bigger and moves into larger enclosures. I have used these without any problem, but there are several others that work pretty good.
http://www.reptiledirect.com/1000-watt-temperature-controller.aspx?gclid=CNDAztHmt70CFQNufgodbaYARg