Early signs of pyramiding?

boris'mommy

Location (City and/or State)
Pleasant Hill, Ca
I'm just wondering what the earliest signs of pyramids are and what exactly causes it, and well as any health concerns may come with it. Here is a picture of Boris my 8 and a half month old sully, I'm so damn paranoid of pyramiding I just want to know how to keep it away and if he looks like he may have any signs since I did just get his enclosure humid in the last week. ImageUploadedByTortForum1386908859.833788.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. It is when each new growth line stacks upward instead of growing out and flat. This is something that can start in the tortoises first few days and weeks. As soon as growth starts, pyramiding can start. 8 and a half months is pretty far into it.

Your tortoise does have some mild pyramiding starting, but it also looks like he hasn't grown much, so it isn't bad. Another typical side effect of the "dry" routine is very slow growth. In better conditions and with better hydration, he will probably start to grow more now, and the new growth should be better with the right conditions.

BTW, if all else is good (diet, UV, calcium, hydration, etc.) pyramiding is only cosmetic, so don't worry too much either way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He does look to possibly have a very slight start of it.
Pyramiding does not mean your tortoise is unhealthy. It means it was started out hot and dry. The old way. If everything else was done right, diet, etc, he could still be a healthy tortoise, with pyramiding. Proper housing, diet, exercise, sunshine, hydration, can all play a part. The biggest part of causing pyramiding seems to be the dehydration. The diet, hydration, exercise, sunshine, etc, are just as important if not more important. Some pyramiding can happen, even if we have everything right, due to the dry way he was raised before we receive them. Keep him hydrated, in humidity, good diet and exercise, UVB and everything will turn out good for him, even if he were to pyramid, he would be healthy will all the other things done right. With yours, you got it early enough, that it most likely won't be noticeable. So don't worry about it and make sure his insides are getting the proper stuff to stay healthy.