Eastern box help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have found a Eastern box turtle and am trying to find what are the correct care for this little guy if any one can point me in the right direction.

M

Maggie Cummings

Well Millerlite sure covered most of the links. I would just add this one. And I'd also say that keeping some species of box turtles is against the law in some states, so you need to be aware of the regulations in your state.
I think it's a really smart thing that you are researching the care of that turtle.
http://aboxturtle.com/

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I Have read them and they do not necessarily give specifics for temp or humidity for Eastern box, I am planning on having eco-earth for the substrate as this can be quite moist and will provide a good humid environment plus a hid with moss in it for extra humidity if necessary, im not sure if the moss is necessary but a hide will be provided. Currently i think he is hibernating, what should the temps be in his enclosure? After hibernation what should his temp be? What should i feed him, i currently have two African spur and they eat mix greens, not sure if these will work for the box as i read that they will eat worms and snails. any help would be great.

maggie3fan said:
Well Millerlite sure covered most of the links. I would just add this one. And I'd also say that keeping some species of box turtles is against the law in some states, so you need to be aware of the regulations in your state.
I think it's a really smart thing that you are researching the care of that turtle.
http://aboxturtle.com/

The link you provided i think answers all my questions, im in California and didn't find anything on there about box turtles in Cali i think im ok.

M

Maggie Cummings

That care sheet gives you specifics about feeding. For a day time temp 85 degrees would be good then a night time drop would be whatever is the temp in your house. My house is cold so I keep a black light bulb over my colony.
He would like to eat nightcrawlers, super worms, meal worms, crickets, different berries, cantaloupe. I feed mine moistened trout chow and canned cat food about once a week.
I don't hibernate my animals, but I don't believe you should wake him up out of hibernation then expect him to go back again...I think someone who is familiar with hibernation will have to help you with that. You'd also want to keep the substrate damp. I wouldn't use the moss...that's just me...You know you shouldn't mix species don't you? HTH

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
oh yea he wont be in the same enclosure as the spurs he is getting his own setup.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
yeah, temps could be in the 80s basking a little warmer, they are pretty good with temps in the 70s-80s, if it gets in the 90s they still do alright, just will sleep more, they are most active in like the 80 range, just have a good gradient of heat, thats the best. Diet will consist of protein, like above said, night crawlers, worms, snails, slugs, rolliepollies, a lot of different bugs. Also veggies and fruit will be part of the diet, i say about 60 percent protein, maybe a little higher like 70 percent, and then the rest fruits and veggies. Most babies however will only eat bugs, and tahts fine, but adults tend to enjoy fruit and veggies, they just need to get older before enjoying it. Even though the babies wont eat the veggies though offer it, every now and then they will take a bite, and once they do take a bite they will usually eat it again. Humidty is pretty important, you need it pretty high, like 60 70 percent, best thing is to have soil, and deep enough for them to dig in. I dont want to go on and on, so i will stop, if you have any other questions ask away i love box turtles.

PS: i live in so. cali, and use to have 30 box turtles, and all different subspecies, they arnt illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.