eastern box turtle, general questions and setup help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
I will start with I hope I'm in the right spot plz move me to the right spot if I am not ty

I'm going to be buying possibly 2 eastern box turtles in two weeks. the turtles are siblings would it be okay to house them together? they are currently in the same enclosure. their hatch date is sometime in November they are only about 1" right now. will there be any issues as they grow if they are in the same enclosure.

I won't be hibernating them this year as I want them a full year so I can assure they are healthy when it is time to hibernate them.

I have read some care sheets online and the ideal temps are 75f - 85f and humidity 70%-80% is this correct? also I know they like to dig/burrow so my substrate (most likely coco fiber moss mix) will be about 8" thick. I was told that a heat bulb or CHE wouldn't be needed just a uvb light and to use an under the tank heater because it would not only increase the temp but the humidity as well. this was told to be by an other owner of a box turtle in the store not by the employees working there.

the diet I understand is 60% protein (butter worms, small crickets, dew/earth worms) and 40% plant matter (grass, dandelions, carrot greens)

my original plan was to buy a rubber tub (50"long x 20" wide) with a MVB and maybe a 60w CHE(pending on night drop temp with the MVB off) however if it is better to have an under the tank heater then this option would not work, in witch case I would place them in a glass setup.

I do have a 24" long x 12" wide tank that has an under the tank heater on about 1/4 ish 1/3 of the tank that my ball python is using but will switching it to a larger tank next week. would this tank be to small for the two?

I know I've asked a lot normally I research for months before buying a reptile however these eastern box turtles just came in there was only one to start that sold really quickly and he just ordered the last 2 from the breeder. I would like to buy both just need to know if I need to have them in separate setups and a good Idea of what the optimal setup up would be. (I liked the idea of a rubber tub because I can simply move it out side in the summer for natural sunlight)

in advance thank you all for the help. feel free just to redirect me to other care sheets. but i'm hoping for some hands on knowledge XD

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yes, they will be able to share an enclosure. The temps and humidity you state are correct. However, you want to use a low wattage heat bulb (I use the black night glo bulbs as boxies do not like overly bright lighting) for heat combined with your UVB flourescent tube. No undertank heater. Your substrate does not need to be as thick as 8 inches yet, they are still so small that just 3 inches would do for now.

What I do for heat and humidity is I cover the entire screen top with heavy duty aluminum foil and just cut out holes where the lights go. I have the UVB tube across the middle of the enclosure and I heat only 1/2 of the enclosure with a 50 to 75 watt black heat bulb. The wattage you need will depend on the size of your enclosure and the ambient temp in the room. The foil over the top holds in the heat and humidity needed by boxies. The substrate will not dry out as quickly with the top covered. I usually remoisten the substrate a little once each day.

A rubber tub would be fine and lots of people use them. I use a large glass terrarium with that covered top because I find it easier to manage the heat and humidity.

As a young baby, a boxie will eat mostly just live foods. They will gradually through their first year of life begin to nibble at the fruits and veggies, so go ahead and offer them. But expect them to eat mostly live foods for now. For adult boxies, 50% protein and 50% plant matter.

I hope I helped a little.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Ty it does but I know larger is better but rubber tub or glass terrarium is the next question I suppose would the 24lx12wx12h be big enough for 2 or go with a larger rubber tub?

The last two XD I'm hoping I can get them both

IMG-20121226-00207.jpg

lisa127 said:
Yes, they will be able to share an enclosure. The temps and humidity you state are correct. However, you want to use a low wattage heat bulb (I use the black night glo bulbs as boxies do not like overly bright lighting) for heat combined with your UVB flourescent tube. No undertank heater. Your substrate does not need to be as thick as 8 inches yet, they are still so small that just 3 inches would do for now.

What I do for heat and humidity is I cover the entire screen top with heavy duty aluminum foil and just cut out holes where the lights go. I have the UVB tube across the middle of the enclosure and I heat only 1/2 of the enclosure with a 50 to 75 watt black heat bulb. The wattage you need will depend on the size of your enclosure and the ambient temp in the room. The foil over the top holds in the heat and humidity needed by boxies. The substrate will not dry out as quickly with the top covered. I usually remoisten the substrate a little once each day.

A rubber tub would be fine and lots of people use them. I use a large glass terrarium with that covered top because I find it easier to manage the heat and humidity.

As a young baby, a boxie will eat mostly just live foods. They will gradually through their first year of life begin to nibble at the fruits and veggies, so go ahead and offer them. But expect them to eat mostly live foods for now. For adult boxies, 50% protein and 50% plant matter.

I hope I helped a little.

It does help the black heat bulb is that a 24 hour thing or just at night time? Do u use it at the same time as the uvb tube light?

Last edited by a moderator:

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I have 16 in the same tank - no problems as long as they are similar in size. Mine are almost totally carnivorous for the first couple years. I haven't used under tank heaters, but I don't know why they wouldn't work. Keep the substrate moist. I have had great sucess with babies. At first they seem very delicate, but they are very tough.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
yagyujubei said:
I have 16 in the same tank - no problems as long as they are similar in size. Mine are almost totally carnivorous for the first couple years. I haven't used under tank heaters, but I don't know why they wouldn't work. Keep the substrate moist. I have had great sucess with babies. At first they seem very delicate, but they are very tough.

How big is your tank lol mine is only 24x12x12. Also you said you have had great sucess with babies would you care to share how you raise them? Or how you would write a care sheet I would love to hear someones hands on knowledge just to help me out. Care sheets I have read don't always agree with one an other

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A female shitzu 0.1 shitzu
Female ball python 0.1 ball python
Female cat 0.1 cat
Unknown montain horned dragon 0.0.1 montain horned dragon
Unknown gecko 0.0.1 gecko
Unknown yellow foot XD 0.0.1 Yellowfoot
2 male kids 2.1 kids
1 female
And 1 wife 0.1 wife

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
emysemys said:
A female shitzu 0.1 shitzu
Female ball python 0.1 ball python
Female cat 0.1 cat
Unknown montain horned dragon 0.0.1 montain horned dragon
Unknown gecko 0.0.1 gecko
Unknown yellow foot XD 0.0.1 Yellowfoot
2 male kids 2.1 kids
1 female
And 1 wife 0.1 wife

Lol ty so it is male female unknown?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
They are all together in a 40 gal, 12 x 48. Coir and dirt for substrate. The room is warm, so I generally use tube for uv. Almost 100% carnivorous diet. Pillbugs, Worms, mealworms, canned cat food, turtle brittle, soaked reptomin, soaked dry cat food. A couple will eat berries. Plenty of water all the time. I spray the tank when it starts looking dry. The only problen with having a bunch, is that at feeding time, it sort of becomes a feeding frenzy, and you have to watch them because little legs can look edible. Easy...
Rover15 said:
yagyujubei said:

How big is your tank lol mine is only 24x12x12. Also you said you have had great sucess with babies would you care to share how you raise them? Or how you would write a care sheet I would love to hear someones hands on knowledge just to help me out. Care sheets I have read don't always agree with one an other

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
yagyujubei said:
They are all together in a 40 gal, 12 x 48. Coir and dirt for substrate. The room is warm, so I generally use tube for uv. Almost 100% carnivorous diet. Pillbugs, Worms, mealworms, canned cat food, turtle brittle, soaked reptomin, soaked dry cat food. A couple will eat berries. Plenty of water all the time. I spray the tank when it starts looking dry. The only problen with having a bunch, is that at feeding time, it sort of becomes a feeding frenzy, and you have to watch them because little legs can look edible. Easy...
Rover15 said:
yagyujubei said:

Yea I'm not looking to house 16 lol 2 is what he. Has left, do you soak them daily? I generally soak my yellow foot 2 times a day I haven't read any thing on soaking box turtles but I plan on soaking them unless there is a negative to it.

And I can never find coco coir so I use coco fiber I assume thhat is just as good and right now the only dirt/soil I can find has the white bits in it. So I was going to do a coco fiber mix with multch almost like thhe yellow foot. Is moss okay?

How often do they feed? The two I'm looking at are only an inch big I know they eat butter worms and small crickets right now but I would assume one worm or any bug would fill it

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I generally will feed daily, but I really don't monitor who eats what. I will swim them in warm water, put the food in the tank, and then return them. Some eat then, some don't. Their growth rate will depend on the amount of food they eat. Some of mine grow very quickly, and others slower. Live food, I just leave in there, and they can hunt and eat at their leisure. I usually cut up worms into managable pieces. Easterns generally love water, and the little ones are almost semi-aquatic, so you really can't over soak them. They will sometimes eat reptomin floating sticks right in the water. Coconut fiber, moss - all good. Live plants - great, but with mine, they get uprooted so often, that I have eliminated them. Look up some of Terryo's tanks.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
I have three baby Easterns and I use moss and half wood for them to hide in. Since they are tiny I use pebbles in their water bowl so they won't drown (because they can). I have moss & love it. The coco fiber became very dirty and stuck all over the turtles. I have fake bushes in the tank as well for hiding. I use to soak them when they were very tiny twice a day in shallow warm water. I fed them small meal worms that I put in gut loaded formula from the pet store. I also feed them in a desperate container to keep their enclosure somewhat as clean as possible. I also offered zucchini and squash and some fruits with the worms. Sometimes they will be shy and I will leave them in their feeding container alone while I kept an eye from a short distance. I fed them once every day and alternated earth and wax worms and recently crickets. Long soaks and natural sunlight.

Here's some pictures

Attachments

• image-49813523.png
    image-49813523.png
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • image-202661478.png
    image-202661478.png
    1,002.3 KB · Views: 52
  • image-471161808.png
    image-471161808.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • image-1262875481.png
    image-1262875481.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • image-660943313.png
    image-660943313.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • image-3613547038.png
    image-3613547038.png
    902.6 KB · Views: 34

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
katelyn0974 said:
I have three baby Easterns and I use moss and half wood for them to hide in. Since they are tiny I use pebbles in their water bowl so they won't drown (because they can). I have moss & love it. The coco fiber became very dirty and stuck all over the turtles. I have fake bushes in the tank as well for hiding. I use to soak them when they were very tiny twice a day in shallow warm water. I fed them small meal worms that I put in gut loaded formula from the pet store. I also feed them in a desperate container to keep their enclosure somewhat as clean as possible. I also offered zucchini and squash and some fruits with the worms. Sometimes they will be shy and I will leave them in their feeding container alone while I kept an eye from a short distance. I fed them once every day and alternated earth and wax worms and recently crickets. Long soaks and natural sunlight.

Here's some pictures

Thank you for the pictures how deep is your soaking dish I've read on other threads and sites to soak them in their enclosure so they aren't scared so I was going to use just a tuberware container and fill it up to their chin and you say long soaks what do you define as a long soak? I normally soak my yellow foot any where from 10-30 mins pending on how warm the water stays and what I'm doing (normally I'm getting the kids breakfast or at night clearing the table

How big is that setup. For the 3 babys?

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
Rover15 said:
Thank you for the pictures how deep is your soaking dish I've read on other threads and sites to soak them in their enclosure so they aren't scared so I was going to use just a tuberware container and fill it up to their chin and you say long soaks what do you define as a long soak? I normally soak my yellow foot any where from 10-30 mins pending on how warm the water stays and what I'm doing (normally I'm getting the kids breakfast or at night clearing the table

I soak them in a different container with a lid to calm them a bit. A long soak is like what you said 20-30 minutes depending on the warmth of the water. My current tank is a 40 gal, I had them in a 10 gal but it was becoming way to snug.

katelyn0974 said:
I soak them in a different container with a lid to calm them a bit. A long soak is like what you said 20-30 minutes depending on the warmth of the water. My current tank is a 40 gal, I had them in a 10 gal but it was becoming way to snug.

Also it's deep enough so they can still stand in the water and poke their heads out. No higher then the back of their shell.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
katelyn0974 said:
Rover15 said:

katelyn0974 said:

Also it's deep enough so they can still stand in the water and poke their heads out. No higher then the back of their shell.

I'm debating on using the 24x12x12 I have for the 2 or buy a big rubber made tub.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
Rover15 said:
I'm debating on using the 24x12x12 I have for the 2 or buy a big rubber made tub.

Try it out & if it doesn't work switch. They are excellent at escaping too just as a FYI.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
katelyn0974 said:
Rover15 said:

Try it out & if it doesn't work switch. They are excellent at escaping too just as a FYI.

Ty for the heads up. I know bigger is better but when they hide all the time I'm afraid if I go to big ill never find them lol

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
"Ty for the heads up. I know bigger is better but when they hide all the time I'm afraid if I go to big ill never find them lo

Eventhough I have many in a somewhat smallish place, in order to find them all, I have to sift almost all of the soil through my fingers.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
yagyujubei said:
"Ty for the heads up. I know bigger is better but when they hide all the time I'm afraid if I go to big ill never find them lo

Eventhough I have many in a somewhat smallish place, in order to find them all, I have to sift almost all of the soil through my fingers.

I agree, that's why I use moss with a carpet piece underneath.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
katelyn0974 said:
yagyujubei said:

I agree, that's why I use moss with a carpet piece underneath.

Your setup is moss and that green pad/carpet? How is the humidity? The moss would dry out fast would it not?

Do you have any pictures of your setup

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Like the above poster I use long fibred sphagnum moss only as a substrate. I love it and it has worked great for me. Soon I think I will be adding as mine is almost ready for another upgrade in tank size and the moss is expensive! So I think I will be adding coco coir or something to the moss and make a mix to make it more affordable.

Also, I wanted to say please go ahead and feed fruits and veggies. Unlike the poster above, both of my baby box turtles were great about eating vegetation once they got past about 6 months of age. My three toed box turtle is 16 months now and he eats anything and everything. And he has since he was about 8 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.