Eastern Box Turtles in New Enclosure

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
They are beautiful!! I love your indoor enclosure. It looks just like the woods in my back yard.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
They are beautiful!! I love your indoor enclosure. It looks just like the woods in my back yard.

Thanks. All the litter is from our wooded area in the back garden. Shredded leaf mold, misc plants, flies, gnats, and red wriggler worms as well. I have a series of subterrainian "caves" built in deep down in, so they dig down as well.

Last year I had a much smaller enclosure and i didnt like that they were cramped. Now, they have two large soaking areas, mud, plants, dry soil, leaf litter, n bugs. The other day I was watching as a large black winged fly landed within a few inches of the female. She slowly stretched her neck, longer and longer, seemingly motionless. Then a quick snatch and that bug was captured and she gobbled it right down. All in my basement " enclosure ".

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Let's see, I started with this Kiddie Pool a few months back, so it's about 5 x 5 feet square and 18 inches deep. Full of peat moss, decayed leaf litter, stone caves, plants, grasses, two large earthen ware watering holes, an old decayed log full of pill bugs, and more.

image.jpg

So, that was the start of the basement enclosure!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
image.jpg

Here are a few more photos from today, 15 February. After a good soaking and nice meal of red wrigglers, my guys buried down into the warm, moist earth layer beneath their basking lights. Nice n warm, moist.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here are two pictures looking down into the enclosure to the left of the basking and soaking areas. You can see the damp substrate, plants and part of an old decaying log. Top picture you can see part of the sunken caverns.

image.jpg

Last edited:

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Thank you! That is amazing. I would of never guessed a pool. What a great idea.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Very nice pictures and your substrate looks great.....like garden soil for Box turtles. Box turtles are my favorite. I miss mine during the Winter months when they are hibernating outside. I'm very anxious now as it's 10 degrees out there now with snow covering the whole garden. Scary.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Very nice pictures and your substrate looks great.....like garden soil for Box turtles. Box turtles are my favorite. I miss mine during the Winter months when they are hibernating outside. I'm very anxious now as it's 10 degrees out there now with snow covering the whole garden. Scary.

Yeah, freezing cold here too. The new big snow storm just arrived and it should be snowing from now until early tomorrow morning. Expecting 8-12 inches in this area. Spring's around the corner and lots of green grass and outdoor life for our torts and turtles!