Eastern Painted Turtle + Simple Habitat Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

kameya

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, California
I had just recently accquired another baby Eastern painted turtle, but the weather was just in time for winter here in SoCal, so I have to keep the little one in the house for now until next spring.

Litter Paint's big head shot, got a pretty white mark behind the eye...
painted-turtle-01.jpg

The plastron is just pale white, no color marks...
painted-turtle-02.jpg

Since I am only temporarily keeping the litte one inside the house, I had to come up with a simple habitat plan that would be
easy to build, setup ,and maintain

Here is the Simple Shoebox Habitat design plan...
painted-turtle-03.jpg

Finished product/habitat...
painted-turtle-04.jpg

Using two clear shoebox-sized plastic container stacked together...
painted-turtle-05.jpg

The upper box has holes drilled on the bottom, so when I separate the two boxes, the dirty water will drain to the bottom box...
painted-turtle-06.jpg

Flush the bottom box and rinse it clean. The two boxes can then be stacked together again and to be refilled with clean water. The whole cleaning process can be done very easily and quickly, and without making contact with the turtles...
painted-turtle-07.jpg

The turtle landing and shelter were all hot-glued to the top container so they won't move around during habitat maintainence...
painted-turtle-08.jpg

Little turtle is checking out its new habitat...
painted-turtle-10.jpg

Taking a break and submerged into the water...
painted-turtle-09.jpg

You can also check out my youtube video on Simple Shoebox Habitat cleaning demo here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDb-n3QvE-k

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
great way to quickly drain. good idea.

i too was wondering about the basking area.. and does the hide also have water in it, or is there a dry part to climb onto that i can't see?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Thanks, This is a great idea. Easy setup for over wintering the 3 little ones I brought in before Sandy, and decided to keep inside until spring.

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
This looks like a nice DIY project! Props to you!
definitely setup a basking light and does the turtle landing dry out? Cause it looks wet in the photo.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
srod said:
This looks like a nice DIY project! Props to you!
definitely setup a basking light and does the turtle landing dry out? Cause it looks wet in the photo.

Looks like he needs more water to swim too. How deep is it? Looks lile only a few inches... But i could be wrong. Also needs a dry area with a light. My painted is always basking.

kameya

10 Year Member!
The original post was simply showing my eastern painted turtle and a quick and easy way to setup a temporary habitat using two stackable plastic containers...but I forgot to show where I place the habitat so the little turtle can bask properly... :p

Location#1 - Under the real source of UVB...in my backyard. I would carry the little tank out to the yard on a good day and bring it in when I got home from work.
paintedturtle16.jpg

Location#2 - Inside my star tortoise's indoor enclosure. Since my Luke is mostly living in his outdoor habitat, I just place the litte tank inside the vacant enclosure that comes with UVB light and temperature-regulated heat lamp.
paintedturtle11.jpg

The current temperature inside the enclosure is set around 75°F for ambient air and ±85°F for the basking area.
paintedturtle12.jpg

I've also added a piece of small rock for the little turtle to bask upon...
paintedturtle13.jpg

paintedturtle14.jpg

Hope this additional info answers some of your concerns, and thank you all for your cares for my little one, he's enjoying it... :)
paintedturtle15.jpg

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Does he stay in the container all the time? If so he needs more water to swim... At least 8".

kameya said:
The original post was simply showing my eastern painted turtle and a quick and easy way to setup a temporary habitat using two stackable plastic containers...but [/b]I forgot to show where I place the habitat so the little turtle can bask properly... :p

Location#1 - Under the real source of UVB...in my backyard. I would carry the little tank out to the yard on a good day and bring it in when I got home from work.
paintedturtle16.jpg

Location#2 - Inside my star tortoise's indoor enclosure. Since my Luke is mostly living in his outdoor habitat, I just place the litte tank inside the vacant enclosure that comes with UVB light and temperature-regulated heat lamp.
paintedturtle11.jpg

The current temperature inside the enclosure is set around 75°F for ambient air and ±85°F for the basking area.
paintedturtle12.jpg

I've also added a piece of small rock for the little turtle to bask upon...
paintedturtle13.jpg

paintedturtle14.jpg

Hope this additional info answers some of your concerns, and thank you all for your cares for my little one, he's enjoying it... :)
paintedturtle15.jpg

kameya

10 Year Member!
lori12386 said:
Does he stay in the container all the time? If so he needs more water to swim... At least 8".

I've raised most my small water turtles in the shallow water during first year in a simple habitat like above, then release them to the outdoor pond after that.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Beautiful little Eastern Painted. Fantastic specimen. An EPT is what started it all for me. My girl will be 10-ish in May. (Have had her since '05)

Status
Not open for further replies.