Easterns Finally Waking Up and Running Loose

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
How many total eastern do you have?
Today I have 10 adults, 3 youngsters, and 2 hatchlings. The number is always changing though, People bring them here and I try to find new homes for them. Last year 2 came here on their own so I let them in. A couple of the adults,the 3 youngsters and the hatchlings were born here.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If I was closer to you I would take a few off your hands! I'm going to be looking for an ornate soon. Unfortunately that's the only species you can legally own where I live.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I was going to cut the grass today but decided to wait until tomorrow or Tuesday (lower humidity) so I started pulling some weeds at the edge of a patch of banana trees and elephant ears. I didn't get many pulled and found this little guy that had left the back yard. It looks to be a hatchling from last spring.BPicture 3608.jpg BPicture 3609.jpg BPicture 3610.jpg

Plato Zorba

New Jersey
I still haven't found the one in the hatchling pen I've been hoping to find for over a month now. I cut some of the plants back yesterday so I can see in better.
Just curious, do you collect your eggs and incubate them yourself or leave them be?

Len B

10 Year Member!
I went out to throw so pellets in for the water turtles just before sundown and this guy was headed away from where he usually settles in for the night. I dropped some pellets in front of him thinking he was going to a spot where I leave pellets on the ground for the box turtles.Picture 3642.jpg He ate a couple of the pellets and and moved on, this is where he was going.Picture 3646.jpg Picture 3647.jpgPicture 3648.jpg

Plato Zorba

New Jersey
I leave them be, If I see one nesting and she does lay I will mark where it is and keep an eye on that spot when they are (on average) about to hatch. This year I only know where one nest is.
This is our first year where we've witnessed eggs being laid and it has been my intent not to intervene and allow them to hatch naturally. I am concerned though.....between our bog and reading the adults can be aggressive toward hatchlings if they aren't discovered and separated right away.

Len B

10 Year Member!
This is our first year where we've witnessed eggs being laid and it has been my intent not to intervene and allow them to hatch naturally. I am concerned though.....between our bog and reading the adults can be aggressive toward hatchlings if they aren't discovered and separated right away.
You can take a square piece of hardware cloth and cut a pie piece out and then pull it together and wire it back, this will make a cone. then you can secure it over the nest using something like gutter nails with a washer slipped onto the nails to help protect the nest and keeping the hatchlings from wandering off if you are not around when they hatch. I have never experienced adults being aggressive towards baby box turtles, so not sure about that.