Easterns Finally Waking Up and Running Loose

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I now feel comfortable turning the adult box turtles loose in the big yard as they come up from their winter sleep, not expecting any cold nights according to weather forecast for the near future.Here are the first 6, Picture 3014 copy.jpg 4 males and 2 females. I also put the 3 fall hatchlings that have lived in my kitchen all winter in the youngster pen out back.Picture 3010.jpg They have done good and grown well, As the rest of the adults come out I post pics of them.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
That's fantastic! The mini heat wave we are having in the mid Atlantic should bring them all out over the next couple of days.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
That is a beautiful turtle, love the color!

It's interesting how some are opportunistic feeders, eating whatever comes along, and then there are those that are definitely on the hunt to find food for themselves!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I now feel comfortable turning the adult box turtles loose in the big yard as they come up from their winter sleep, not expecting any cold nights according to weather forecast for the near future.Here are the first 6, View attachment 237385 4 males and 2 females. I also put the 3 fall hatchlings that have lived in my kitchen all winter in the youngster pen out back.View attachment 237386 They have done good and grown well, As the rest of the adults come out I post pics of them.

What GORGEOUS animals!!!![emoji7]

Len B

10 Year Member!
Just one adult found out today, a small but older female. Picture 3048.jpg Picture 3047.jpg When she first came here I thought she had damage to her shell but after looking more closely not damaged just different.She is very heavy for a box turtle that just woke up from a couple months sleep. . Also found 2 more youngsters and Tiny all close together under cover in a corner.3 youngsters.jpg They wont be released into the big yard for a few years, They were put in this pen last fall from the hatchling pen. I didn't want to bother them to much that's why I didn't clean them up before taking the pic. If I remember correctly there are 3 more adults in the pen that haven't showed themselves yet. I am always looking for good homes for these guys so if you want stop by and look for box turtles you can have one or two at no charge. I also have Red Ear, Painted, common snappers and Red Belly turtles that need homes.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Just one adult found out today, a small but older female. View attachment 237544 View attachment 237545 When she first came here I thought she had damage to her shell but after looking more closely not damaged just different.She is very heavy for a box turtle that just woke up from a couple months sleep. . Also found 2 more youngsters and Tiny all close together under cover in a corner.View attachment 237546 They wont be released into the big yard for a few years, They were put in this pen last fall from the hatchling pen. I didn't want to bother them to much that's why I didn't clean them up before taking the pic. If I remember correctly there are 3 more adults in the pen that haven't showed themselves yet. I am always looking for good homes for these guys so if you want stop by and look for box turtles you can have one or two at no charge. I also have Red Ear, Painted, common snappers and Red Belly turtles that need homes.
I sent you a PM.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW! ! !

What a beautiful group of Box turtles. I live those turtles too but my wife not~

Len B

10 Year Member!
All the adults are out. For some reason I thought I put 13 in the pen for hibernation and only found 10, I had actually found 11 and posted pics of them. I have been looking in the pen for 2 more but no sign of either. Today everything came together when I saw this. last 2 adults.jpg The smaller female and the male to the left spent the winter somewhere out in the yard. I have several safe places just in case I miss some in the fall when collecting them for winter hibernation. I did find a new good home for 3 adults, a youngster, and one of the Oct hatchlings.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
They look good Len! Glad the other snapper showed up. All accounted for now?