Eating habit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerbs

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
St. Paul, MN
Hey all,
My RF many times has, in my opinion, an odd eating habit. I will put his food in his enclosure and he'll chomp away. He'll eat for 5-7minutes, and really get in to it, especially if it's one of his favorites (as expected). Then he'll look around the food and wander off to another area. It's like he gets distracted. If I were to pick him up and put him back in front of his food, he'll start eating again for another 2-3 minutes. Then he'll wander off.... I could do this a few times.

If he is really liking the food and is hungry, why would he leave? And if he is full and wants to graze later, why would he start eating again right when put back in front of his food 30 seconds later?

Wanted to know if any of your tortoises had this sort of habit.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would say if he is eating good on his own to just let him walk off rather than continuously bringing him back. Tortoises like to graze, he may just be looking to see what else is out there. Mine does this often. He will graze early in the morning and later in the day due to the heat. Sometimes I give him treats and he takes a few bites, starts to graze but always ends up coming back for more :)

jerbs

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
Thanks. Yeah, that's what I've started doing now. That's good to know yours does the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.