Eating Habits

yongsaurus

Location (City and/or State)
Doha
Hello,

what can I do if my tortoise refuse to eat anything unless its cooked ? i give her as many different vegetables as i can. but she refuses to eat them unless i boil them to soften them up. for example she loves carrots, when i just give it to her raw she just spits them back out. but if i boil it, she would finish eating all of them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How big is the tortoise? Maybe her beak isn't strong enough to bite off the raw veg. I feed leafy greens, so I don't have that problem. Have you checked out the food items for greeks shown in our Greek care sheet?

yongsaurus

Doha
&
How big is the tortoise? Maybe her beak isn't strong enough to bite off the raw veg. I feed leafy greens, so I don't have that problem. Have you checked out the food items for greeks shown in our Greek care sheet?
she’s still the same size (i think she did grew a little bigger than she was before we got her) Yes!!! we’ve tried some of the food listed. she does eat them normally sometimes, the thing with her is that she would try to eat anything but she would only take it in her mouth for a few moment n then spit it back out, so in the end she didnt eat. im really worried she wont be able to eat raw vegetables. shes fines eating greenies, the only problem is that we cant really depend on them as a primary food source for her since the supply is limited. thats why im trying to feed her anything possible for her, but she can only truly eat them when the food is cooked.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try grating the veg on a cheese grater