Eating in the middle of the night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Our TTBT came to us with several health issues, but she's all patched up now except that she's still a bit underweight. After watching her very closely for a few weeks, I've figured out that she's eating in the middle of the night after everyone has gone to bed. Has anyone seen behavior like this before or know what might cause it?

Even if I dig her up out of her bedding and place her next to her freshly filled food dish, she won't eat until around 1am or so. She is eating well, its just very...odd.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It sounds like she's still pretty nervous. How long have you had her?

Try to resist the temptation to 'watch very closely'. Newcomers do best when you are not around so they can be brave.

Establish a regular routine so she learns what to expect and when.

Start the day with lights on, heat on, 20 minute soak (ensures hydration and gets her used to being handled), feed (they're often hungry after a bath and poop) and then leave her in peace.

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
We've had her about a month now. I don't hover over her table, but have been soaking her in the every other morning and weighing and feeding her. She's left alone except for that. She is shy, but I just don't understand why she waits until the dead of night to eat. We're at work during the day so she has plenty of quiet time.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hunahpu said:
We've had her about a month now. I don't hover over her table, but have been soaking her in the every other morning and weighing and feeding her. She's left alone except for that. She is shy, but I just don't understand why she waits until the dead of night to eat. We're at work during the day so she has plenty of quiet time.

A month is no time to a tortoise. Be patient, stick to a routine, and hopefully she'll be less scared in a couple of months. Joe was eating well after dark last night though!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My 10 month old three toed is not shy at all. He begs me for food when he is hungry no matter the time of day. But if I miss a day of feeding and he gets hungry, he will be out and about "hunting" for food at 11 or 12 at night. 2 to 3 hours after lights out.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Why are you still soaking her if she has no health issues. If she has a large water dish that she can climb into and soak herself, there shouldn't be any need to soak her. Why don't you give her the option to drink, soak, eat and poop when she wants to? Just my 2 cents. Your enclosure should mimic the environment where she comes from. A TTBT needs plenty of plants to hide under, soil and some leaf litter to dig under and a large enough water dish to sit in and soak herself. Three Toes love the water. I've never soaked any unless they were sick. I put pill bugs and worms in the vivarium when I have to keep one inside, and I can always see one finding something to eat. Just my opinion, that's all.

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
That's comforting to know that others eat at night too, even on occasion. I'm still soaking as per vet instructions, though now that you mention it our vet didn't specify when to stop soaking. Just said to soak and check her weight.

She does have lots of plants and substrate, and a large water saucer that she uses at her leisure.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
sometimes a hide placed over the food or something above like fake ivy suspended above etc will allow them to feel more comfortable to eat in the light of day

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Box turtles are usually diurnal or crepuscular though some are active at night which isn't normal per se but isn't a sign of illness either. It is more likely that it is that you watch the turtle some don't like to be watched and won't eat if someone is watching. Sheldon when I first got him I had to feed him and leave the area. At first I tried hiding in the room behind a half wall an picking over to see him eat he would stare at me until I actually left the room though now he will eat if I'm near him but he still watches me.

Franklin when he is awake if he sees the camera of a cell phone he runs straight to the place it is at and looks at it then the human holding it. My wife says he is a ham.

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
Thanks for the insight everyone! I do appreciate it. She has a dracena and an aloe that are near her food, but perhaps I'll run down to home depot and get another plant or two and see if that makes her more comfortable. I have some red wigglers I can add to her table as well. She doesn't seem to mind being handled and does like having her neck rubbed, but I'll add more foliage.

My first boxie is so easy; he'll take food from my hand and doesn't mind me one bit. Zora is quite a bit different. Thanks for all the help. Always learning....

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Just a little side note. When I can't sleep, which is often, I'll go out and sit on a bench by my turtle garden. Last night at about 2 AM I was sitting there and I saw Pi, my male Eastern Box turtle eating a big slug. Out came Chewy and the two of them had a tug of war. I've sat out there many nights, during the Summer, and have seen them lots of times. Sometimes they come up to me for a hand out. So I'm sure they are forging during the night when we don't even know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.