Eating like a pig!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central New York
Petire has been eating like a little pig the last few days. I have been giving him is normal amount of greens in the morning and he eats every last one. By the afternoon he is sitting by his food dish waiting for more. I feel bad so I give it to him and he eats all of that to.

On a previous post I had asked about how much to feed and the general answer seemed to be about his shell size which is what I have been doing. Now it is much more.

I just don't want to over feed him and make him sick.

Thanks for the help.......again!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It is nearly impossible to overfeed a growing, active tortoise. No harm will come from them constantly consuming large amounts of food as long as that food is good quality. Good quality for most tortoise species means high in fiber, moderate amounts of vitamin A & D, low in protein and with a good calcium/phosphorus ratio. and above all else, adequate hydration. Where problems can arise from being fed too much is when there is an over use of supplemental vitamins, lack of adequate hydration and lack of enough activity. You won't make your tortoise sick by overfeeding, as long as the food that is given is good quality, varied and well balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.