Eating sand :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozwin

5 Year Member
I've just built Ozwin a new house... As suggested I've put 50/50 top soil/sand (Does that mean their seperate or 50/50 mixed together?)
Anyway, my problem is she won't stop eating the sand! I'm worried, I've read on here it could cause impact and I don't want that to happen, but I've also read it can happen after a course of anti biotics, she's still on anti biotics because of an alser on her tounge :( Any advice about the sand eating problem? (I'm going to take the sand out now and put a bit more top soil in her house, any advice what I could use instead of sand?)
Thanks dudes and dudettes!! x

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
This is from my experience but my torts have done the same thing. Ive seen mine testing the substrate. It never caused any problems for me though. It just passed right through them. I figure as long as they dont just chow down on it they will be fine. They are desert creatures so inevitably some sand will get into their system. But again if you see him eating it as in actually feasting on it I would have him checked out by a vet. But again this is only my opinion. Also for reference it was my 4 month old sulcata, and adult russians that had ingested a little bit of sand.

ozwin

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info... She seemed to be feasting on it, like I'd move her onto the soil and all she wanted to do was run back to the sand and carry on eating it, so what I did was got rid of the sand, put more soil instead of the sand and added a bit of bark. She has aspin in her hide... Thats all I use to use in her old house! I might get a few pieces of slate soon and have that acting as a small bit of 'substrate' so to say... Seing as I'm not really wanting to use sand anymore is there anything else anyone would recommend? Ta

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi. I use a mix of topsoil and playsand but I don't use much sand. I use about 20% sand and I mix it in totally so there is no sand visible. I've not had a problem with my hermanns trying to eat this substrate. Eating sand can cause impaction and loose sand in the habitat can cause eye irritation as well. I would suggest remove the sand and just use the topsoil for a while. The point of the sand I believe is to make sure the substrate is a free-draining and light material and not some heavy wet stuff that can make the tortoise cold.

Most Hermann tortoises in the wild would live on light soils that have been made by nature from limestone rocks that are underneath and sometimes on the surface as well. They are found in coastal areas too but they don't live on sand itself. Because we are keeping our Hermanns in artificial conditions they sometimes do things they wouldn't do in nature.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Throw it all in water. Most pf the sand should sink and a lot of the coconut fiber should float.

ozwin

5 Year Member
I've gotten rid of the sand and put more top soil down but with a bit of bark... I'll mix a little bit of sand in the soil soon! What about using crushed oyster shell?? She looked like santa clause with a sandy beard hehe!! Thanks for the advice, it's helped me a lot :):) Do I need the coconut fibre??

M

Maggie Cummings

The correct mixture would be 50%sand with 50% coir. You put the brick of coir into water and it all fluffs up then you mix sand in it. Most keepers say a 50/50 mixture, but I personally think that is too much sand and the tort tracks sand into everything, food water etc. So I recommend about 30% sand in with the coir. Then you keep the substrate moist. I would pour water over it every couple of days and mix it all around keeping the substrate moist and creating the needed ambient humidity.
Your tort shouldn't be eating sand, and you shouldn't have straight sand in the enclosure. I would make sure she stays well hydrated and passes all that sand.
Nobody asked me but I would use cypress mulch for the substrate. It's common to use the coir /sand combination but I think cypress mulch is a much better substrate. I use it in all my habitats.
Don't use crushed oyster shell. It's not good to use around tortoises.

ozwin

5 Year Member
Great, I thought the oyster shell would be good but thanks for letting me know! I'll have a look for what youve recommended!!! Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"Ozwin" and "Ozric" ... How unusual for two members to be so similar in name. I believe Ozric's tortoise is named Ozric.

I've heard that if the tortoise is kept well hydrated, the sand passes right through and doesn't cause a problem. But I keep horses, and eating sand is a big problem with them, as the heavy sand falls to the bottom of the stomach and just lays there, not going anywhere. Sometimes causes a very big stomach ache. I don't allow sand anywhere near my tortoises. I like cypress mulch or orchid bark.

Yvonne

ozwin

5 Year Member
My tortoise is actually called Ozwin, I'm Carys! I'll be changing her substrate very soon... thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.