Eating soil

Status
Not open for further replies.

derek sheldon

5 Year Member
My horsfield tort is eating the soil that I have put as his bed , the normal top soil that we get wasn't in stock so we bought growing soil instead , is this a bad idea , it does seem slightly damper than top soil so I have tried to dry it out with heat but he keeps eating it ? Help please

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
something is missing in his diet. Minerals.. what do you feed him?
he should not eat dirt.. but it should pass thru.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is it just soil? Most things labeled as "growing" have added chemicals and other ingredients to them. :(

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
when i buy soil to put in Ayden's pen sometimes little plants begin to grow in it since it is, after all, top soil. maybe he found a plant one time and decided that he would look for more?

HtVic

5 Year Member
mira_kaylee said:
when i buy soil to put in Ayden's pen sometimes little plants begin to grow in it since it is, after all, top soil. maybe he found a plant one time and decided that he would look for more?

haha, this is cute

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and we LOVE PICS :p

I would just make sure you are soaking him and keeping him hydrated while he gets use to his new snack...lol...

I also would revisit your diet and make sure it is covering a variety of nutrients and if you are not sure then maybe try a supplement for minerals for awhile and see if that may have been what was lacking.....but before that I would just give em a couple days or so to get use to the new stuff and see if he quits cold turkey..:D

Also...read the ingredients on your soil bag to make sure as suggested that it does not have fertilizers or other growing additives ...those would be not so good...

Status
Not open for further replies.