Eating the aspen ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sussex, WI
My little Pebble continues to eat the Aspen shavings. Little stinker! I know this cause it comes out exactly the same looking as it went in :D

How can I stop him? (he doesn't understand NO yet ;)

Or do I switch to something else as substrate??

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
A tortoise will only eat the aspen if food is stuck to it or they are hungry. Mine might try it at first, but almost always spit it out afterwards.
You might try feeding him a little bit more. :D

Danny

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
Oh no ...he eats it. If I catch him I pull it out of his mouth with scolding! LOL

I do feed him twice a day now. In the morning before work and right when we get home at night. But I can bump it up no problem. Paranoid about over feeding I guess.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
Do what i did... buy the reptile carpet... works great

oswego tort lover

10 Year Member!
oswego co. ny. u.s.a.
how about putting enough food in there so it can eat as much as it wants all day as it would in the wild. its what i do for all species. works well , just remove whats not eaten as it drys out .............ed

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
So even if they ingest the aspen--it comes out OK?...
My Greek doesn't eat it...but I used to really stress that he not get any stuck to his lettuce when he eats, i thought it would cause an impaction.

It won't?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Meg90 said:
So even if they ingest the aspen--it comes out OK?...
My Greek doesn't eat it...but I used to really stress that he not get any stuck to his lettuce when he eats, i thought it would cause an impaction.

It won't?

I heard it could cause impaction, but I am not sure. Before, Hermy's food dish used to be on the aspen, when I found a piece of aspen in his poo, I put his food dish on the reptile carpet.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
In almost 20 years of using aspen, I've never had a tortoise become impacted. They eat it and it passes right through just fine. :D

Danny

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I too have used aspen for over 10 years and I have never had a problem. I've had tortoises accidently ingest it but they pass it just fine. I even use it on my snakes with no problems.

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
yup, comes out looking (almost) the exact way it went in!

I do have the reptile carpet in some places and in the corners of the tub I have the aspen for digging if he feels the need. And in the hide it I have aspen also - he seems to like nesting in it at night.

I will keep an eye on him this weekend and see if he is still eating it, after increasing the amount.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
pebbles mom said:
yup, comes out looking (almost) the exact way it went in!

I do have the reptile carpet in some places and in the corners of the tub I have the aspen for digging if he feels the need. And in the hide it I have aspen also - he seems to like nesting in it at night.

I will keep an eye on him this weekend and see if he is still eating it, after increasing the amount.

I am really happy Aspen does not cause impaction. I will put some in Hermy's hide. Good luck and let us know if Pebbles still eats it.

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
Merry Christmas to all!

I am waiting for my daughter to come back home from her Dad's house.... and I'm checkin got see what is up on the forum today!

Pebb's is doing better with more food. No aspen poo since I bumped him up a bit. THANKS everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.