Ebay solar powered pond aerator review

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've used some solar powered pond pumps before and found them to be unsatisfactory. Both because they pumped very little water in the brightest sunlight. And my tortoises always seemed to get tangled in the cord, pulling the pump motor out of the pond were it promptly fried itself due to no water.
These where made by Becket and cost about $40 each. Not aerators. Pumps to move water. Back then I was still attempting to have filtered tortoise pools. It was futile.
These aerators are for adding bubbles of oxygen into small pools or ponds. In my case, to provide extra oxygen into my fish ponds and to cause cooling and some surface agitation.
I found them on Ebay. Sold by several names. And the prices vary for what looks to be the identical unit.
These were $17 each since I purchased 3 of them. I saved less than a dollar each in bulk. With free shipping.
It seemed like a great way to get some extra summertime oxygen into my ponds (all between 1,100 and 1,600 gallons) and at $17 each, I wasn't going to be too upset if they ended up being useless turds.
Well, they seem to be fantastic.
I've only set one up so far. I placed the pump motor in a waterproof "ish" box that I will deal with aesthetically later. I drilled holes in the bottom of this temporary box to both let out condensation if any gets in there. And to allow the pump to get fresh air.
Shockingl, it generates a good deal of bubbles. Even in an overcast day like today. I'm kind of impressed. And it's totally silent.
So, if you can use some extra aeration in a small pond or water project. I hereby recommend this style of Chinese made solar aerator. Especially if you can get it for less than $20.
I do recommend that you place the actual pump somewhere where it will not get wet. Not especially in a fancy box like I did mine. The pump seems nice and sturdy. But it clearly isn't waterproof.
Between the cord for the solar panel and the air hose that was included, there's about 15 feet of cords in total and that makes finding a good place to locate the pump very easy. Clearly, I haven't found a good place for mine. It must be higher that the body of water to prevent back flows. But not sticking out like a sore thumb like mine currently is.
These things are exactly what I was hoping for. And very, very inexpensive.

Attachments

• 20190405_133304.jpg
    20190405_133304.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 58
  • 20190405_133256.jpg
    20190405_133256.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 63
  • 20190405_133250.jpg
    20190405_133250.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • 20190403_224818.jpg
    20190403_224818.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nice, surprised they are working good.
Seeing your pond makes me miss mine
The air output is far superior to what I was expecting. And the sun never really came out today. It's been cloudy.
That pond probably doesn't need any extra aeration. It has a large waterfall. But I have two above ground ponds with smaller filters on them that are in the open area of the back yard. The extra air will be nice.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nice, surprised they are working good.
Seeing your pond makes me miss mine
You could put one together very inexpensively.
I'll be posting a new thread when I get my twin 1,100 gallon ponds set up next month. They are actually re proposed and thinly disguised above ground swimming pools.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You could put one together very inexpensively.
I'll be posting a new thread when I get my twin 1,100 gallon ponds set up next month. They are actually re proposed and thinly disguised above ground swimming pools.
I dont have the room without cutting into tortoise yard and I'm already going to do that for a couple pet chickens. I have a 60? gallon prefabbed that I have had set up for the last 3 years but its not the same has the big one I had at my old place.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
What size tubing is it? Would an aquarium one-way air valve work?
Yes.
Its standard aquarium tubing.
I didn't mention the check valve because it would add another $4 to my el cheapo air pump setup.
Since the check valve is a reed design and the pump is slightly anemic....And I've never placed a check valve on this solar pump, I can't say if it would affect the flow at all. If it did, I imagine it wouldn't be much.
You would have to use a check valve if you are unable to mount the pump up higher than the water line.

Ghazan

5 Year Member
Whats the name or link of the one you use, I was going to use a plug in aerator for a part of my pond that doesn't get much water movement, but this seems like a cheaper option

deny26

CA
Hello Everyone,
Could anyone give me the suggestion for the best solar power pond pump which is for small area garden? Also suggest me the right buying guide.

V

VincentBowman

Hi, Deny. We searched for a while to find something that would work for our (man-made) stream-fed pond. I have finally had success with the Solariver Solar Water Pump. If you want to know more about the solar water pump, check it out

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I just saw this post, are you able to provide a link or specific name for this aerator pump?
Thank you!

I've tried a few times to drag the link here.
They're from Amazon
They used to be about $15.
Now They're nearer to $35.
I'll take photos of them in the next day or two

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Will keep an eye out! we have something in our pond, but its not exactly working too well :)
These arent very powerful and only provide bubbles when it's sunny.
In fact they do nothing at all unless the sun is out.
But they are very dependable

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is the last one I scored on Amazon for just eight bucks!
It has a huge (in comparison? 8x7" solar panel and a splitter, enough air hose and two air stones included.
At $8, I'd do that again.

Attachments

• 20220227_211511.jpg
    20220227_211511.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220227_211436.jpg
    20220227_211436.jpg
    866.6 KB · Views: 3

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
That looks like the same panel I had on Matilda's outdoor pond pump. You put those in 2 years ago, right? LOL....not too shabby for a few bucks!

I need to open it and replace w/ decent battery cells.....I like the panel & it works fine but the storage quickly lost capacity on mine.