Edger's new home!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

handsomeEdger

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ridgefield, WA
I came up with the pool idea a long time ago and we have had him in it for a long time. I then had made him a little room by putting up thick plastic from roof to floor to keep the heat and humidity in. I really didn't like the looks of it but it worked until we could find something better. We found this little 6ftX6ft green house at Harbor Freight for a little over $100! Well worth it let me tell you!!! It's nice, we can see in and all his heat and everything stay very constant and easy to maintain at the level we like! Day normally 87 with about 80%+ humidity! Night about 75-80 and we turn the humidity off and by morning it's at about 50%.

Photo6.jpgPhoto5.jpgPhoto4.jpgPhoto3.jpgPhoto2.jpgPhoto1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Our forum members are just SO inventive!! Great idea. Its nice that you have a room that you can devote to the green house. May I make one little bitty suggestion? Too bad, I'm gonna' make it anyway: Dig your waterer down more into the substrate so its flush with the ground.

I'm off to Harbor Freight!! :p

handsomeEdger

5 Year Member
Ridgefield, WA
We had his water dug down and he wouldn't even go near it. He likes it up above so he can climb on it. There isn't much water in it as we give him a bath every night in a bath tub for 30 minutes to an hour depending on how long he will stay calm and not try to walk up the sides. He really doesn't even get in the water he just likes to climb up it and back down. Thanks for the suggestion as that is what we did at first thinking we didn't want him to be upside down in it. He wouldn't even go near it so we now only put a tiny bit of water in it and he normally just use's it to climb on!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Very creative!! I like :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think I just noticed something that you need to change. In photo labeled Photo 1, the last photo in the grouping, it looks like you have a compact bulb in the black hanging fixture. When those bulbs first came out they concentrated the UV rays out the end of the bulb and it was too strong for tortoises, especially baby tortoises. It burned their corneas and caused blindness. In one case a baby sulcata actually died. They are supposedly fixed now, but I am hesitant to authorize their use.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Good idea, thanks for sharing.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
This is just wonderful for your Redfoot. The only thing that I would suggest is putting some plants in there for him to be able to hide under and the plants help with the humidity also. I only wish I had a room to devote only to the tortoises in the winter time. :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe Edgar is a Sulcata, not a Redfoot.

Looks really good, and a great way to create a microhabitat!

handsomeEdger

5 Year Member
Ridgefield, WA
kyryah said:
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe Edgar is a Sulcata, not a Redfoot.

Looks really good, and a great way to create a microhabitat!

Yes he is a Sulcata

emysemys said:
I think I just noticed something that you need to change. In photo labeled Photo 1, the last photo in the grouping, it looks like you have a compact bulb in the black hanging fixture. When those bulbs first came out they concentrated the UV rays out the end of the bulb and it was too strong for tortoises, especially baby tortoises. It burned their corneas and caused blindness. In one case a baby sulcata actually died. They are supposedly fixed now, but I am hesitant to authorize their use.

It isnt one of the new version compacts that they had the issues with. Its a zoo med 10.0 and he seems to love it although we are getting the 160w mercury vapor from reptileuv soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.