Edible Landscaping Arizona

chosen2030

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, Arizona
Hi all, just looking for some advice on Edible Landscaping for my leopard tortoises that can survive the full sun of Phoenix other than hibiscus and opuntia cactus. Can anyone recommend climbing vines or other flowering shrubs that would not harm my tortoises if they took to eating the leaves or flowers?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That's a tough one. Full direct sun exposure leaves quite a bit of flora species. Do you have access to like afternoon shade at all maybe? Turks cap is cool. It's actually a North American hibiscus. Grows like a weed instead of a tree. Yuccas aren't going to be consumed but those offer very nice shade when they start to get tall after a year or so with adequate watering.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I look at these references now and again. They are for Arizona desert tortoises but most should be safe for your leopard (although of course let's wait for an actual leopard owner to comment!)

This one is helpfully separated to show vines and large shrubs. Tacoma stans is listed as a large shrub, we train it against a wall at our house, like a vine. Lots of bunch grasses here as well, if grasses can survive the weight of a leopard!

https://tucsonherpsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/NatPlantDesTort08.pdf

Here is another list published by Arizona Fish and Game. Sadly, it is not separated by plant type but worth a read. I wouldn't feed a leopard morning glory or spurge, which are on this list. https://www.azgfd.com/PortalImages/files/wildlife/tortoise/DesertTortoiseDiet2014(1).pdf

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lavatera does well here, and our summer days are usually 100+ with very low humidity too.

Can't beat a fruitless mulberry tree. Heavy shade in summer and full sun in winter. The leaves are great food.

Grape vines should do well for you there too. The leaves are excellent tortoise food.

Gazania flowers and plants are good. Best to grow them in place from seeds.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Here I loom my head with the idea of planting lavender plants. Tortoises for the most part leave them be, they can be base trimmed up to provide shade, and they'll stand up to full sun.
And Mike Taylor of Texas just loves those purple flower stalks!!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I look at these references now and again. They are for Arizona desert tortoises but most should be safe for your leopard (although of course let's wait for an actual leopard owner to comment!)

This one is helpfully separated to show vines and large shrubs. Tacoma stans is listed as a large shrub, we train it against a wall at our house, like a vine. Lots of bunch grasses here as well, if grasses can survive the weight of a leopard!

https://tucsonherpsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/NatPlantDesTort08.pdf

Here is another list published by Arizona Fish and Game. Sadly, it is not separated by plant type but worth a read. I wouldn't feed a leopard morning glory or spurge, which are on this list. https://www.azgfd.com/PortalImages/files/wildlife/tortoise/DesertTortoiseDiet2014(1).pdf

These are good resources for us in AZ, for the most part.

As far as shrubs go, cape honeysuckle does really good here in full sun. Mexican petunia does really well here as well, but it is extremely invasive.

That's really all I can think of as far as shrubs that can handle full direct sun here. Most any type of vine or shrub would struggle without being shaded for a portion of the day.