Edible Landscaping

jackmeggers

Location (City and/or State)
Hampton Roads, Va
I am a new greek tortoise mom, I got my boyfriend our little Archimedes for Christmas. He is just under 3 inches and currently in the 10 gal. tank that his previous owner had him in. Don't worry he won't be in it for long! I'm in the process of getting him a much larger habitat and plan on using a mostly organic top soil substrate mixed with a small amount of either play sand or a repti-bark style wood chip. Here is my question. I have been looking around for a good list of not only non-toxic but edible landscaping for him. I want him to have a lush garden at his disposal. Not because I'm too lazy to feed him, I love feeding him when I get home in the mornings. He is usually up by the time I feed the cats and I give him his breakfast and we sit and "chat." I have found sites for edible landscaping for Sulcattas and Leaopards but not specifically Greeks. I'm specifically interested in whether orchids are safe. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

1520827_10153655010805603_1970562543_n.jpg

He decided to do some mountain climbing this morning :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
I was once in your place and the best advice i can give you is. . . . . .

thetortoisetable.org.uk

Just cant go wrong with it!

youll soon find out why ^_^v

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
I have been looking on their site, very comprehensive. But nowhere does it say anything about orchids. Some say yes, some say no. I'm planning on the obvious dandelions and some clover and soft padded cactus. I just want to have an idea before I start ordering seeds.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Dandelions you can pick yourself! When i take my kid out for a walk i would carry a zip lock bag and pick the seeds that about to fly away ^_^v... here is a link for seeds i buy for my tortoise... it already contains a lot of varieties of seeds! My torts love them and i approve ^_^v

http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

if you want pretty flowers like i do, viola and pansy... If you have a facebook, you can message the people in the thetortoisetable.org.uk and they respond to you very quickly and tell you the ups and downs about orchid... THEY ARE AWESOME!

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Thanks :) Looks like I'm on the right track because I had already looked at the tortoise supply site for their seed mix :) My mom is a florist and I'm looking forward to her getting involved and maybe taking some of her sprouting baby succulents to add to the collection :) Thanks again!

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
OH MAN! YOUR LUCKY! If you are to plants, make sure you ask your mom about the flowers that dont contain any chemicals what so ever... Careful bout pansies and violas though... they will devour the entire thing on one sitting! lol thats why i put them on a pot!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Just a reminder about florist flowers. Many of the growers do treat them with pesticides and systematic fertilizers, for obvious reasons, to keep them in the market pretty, longer. So please be very careful. When I buy something cool for my tortoises, like these insanely cool new hibiscus that were introduced at the Home Depot in the summer, I wait at least 6 months in order to be super sure that all the possible toxic to tortoise things, are gone.

As for orchids, it is my understanding that they are all edible. My favorite is vanilla planifolia, the vanilla bean orchid. Got one last year and I am hoping, hoping for success with it. Beans for me, flowers for tortoises. : )

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
really? I have tons of orchids at home! I MEAN FREAKIN TONS! I never feed it to them!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Jlant85 said:
really? I have tons of orchids at home! I MEAN FREAKIN TONS! I never feed it to them!

There you go! We learn so much on this forum, right? All edible! For people too. Excellent on top of cupcakes, wedding cakes, salads! Just remember the fertilizer free rule. No additives in flowers for torties! : )

Here is a good article about your new food source! Yay! : )
http://www.ionopsis.com/edible_orchids.htm

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Mallow is great for edible landscaping, it regrows pretty quickly and the flowers and leaves are quite pretty. My tortoise will eat it readily on one day and completely ignore it on the next. Plantain, especially the broadleaf variety are quite good as well. No pretty flowers here but their roots don't go far into the ground, so you may even have succes by transplanting wild plants into the enclosure. Don't forget to water well after transplanting! Plantain is an all time favourite for my tortoise, so maybe it won't survive long. ;)

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
peasinapod said:
Mallow is great for edible landscaping, it regrows pretty quickly and the flowers and leaves are quite pretty. My tortoise will eat it readily on one day and completely ignore it on the next. Plantain, especially the broadleaf variety are quite good as well. No pretty flowers here but their roots don't go far into the ground, so you may even have succes by transplanting wild plants into the enclosure. Don't forget to water well after transplanting! Plantain is an all time favourite for my tortoise, so maybe it won't survive long. ;)

Don't forget broad leaves! ^_^v

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
How about a miniature version of this: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/topiary_tortoise_62.asp

If you ever build an outside enclosure you'll even have more options, as you aren't restricted in height and can plant things which make roots deeper into the ground. I don't think things like hibiscus and such would work inside. Hollyhock would also be a really pretty outside candidate.

I forgot something: Cichorium intybus is quite pretty, but I don't know if it would work inside. And don't froget about the violets/violas! Really pretty and edible.

Herbs such as Rosemary, Lavender, Oregano etc. are great as safe decoration, but they won't be eaten.

(Noooo. I'm not looking forward to spring! ;) )

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
What?! I can't wait till spring! I'm planting my grapes and seeding the rest! ^_^v my broadleaf and plantains started growing already!

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
AW: Edible Landscaping

Sorry for highjacking! :blush:

Survivors from summer: 1388491316875.jpg

1388491367692.jpg

1388491353608.jpg

Ready for spring: 1388491379592.jpg

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Awesome! Nice thread every.bodies! Now, my turn.
Here is a link that I think everyone will like. And while it is for leopard tortoises, many of the plants, if not most all, are also possible eats for little Greeks! A fun visual, for inspiration. Where's Spring? Here Spring, here Spring ... : )

http://www.pinterest.com/pietersmith/leopard-tortoise-edible-plants/

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Just a reminder about florist flowers. Many of the growers do treat them with pesticides and systematic fertilizers, for obvious reasons, to keep them in the market pretty, longer. So please be very careful. When I buy something cool for my tortoises, like these insanely cool new hibiscus that were introduced at the Home Depot in the summer, I wait at least 6 months in order to be super sure that all the possible toxic to tortoise things, are gone.

As for orchids, it is my understanding that they are all edible. My favorite is vanilla planifolia, the vanilla bean orchid. Got one last year and I am hoping, hoping for success with it. Beans for me, flowers for tortoises. : )

I definitely won't be putting any potentially coated plants in his home. I just meant I look forward to picking her brain about different plants and landscaping that might be cool :) Thanks for the reminder.

peasinapod said:

I hadn't thought of mallow or plantain. :D Thanks! I'm wanting some ground cover, like clover and some plants for in the corners that he can hide in and have an alternative for cooling when he doesn't want to "hide" :D

peasinapod said:
How about a miniature version of this: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/topiary_tortoise_62.asp

If you ever build an outside enclosure you'll even have more options, as you aren't restricted in height and can plant things which make roots deeper into the ground. I don't think things like hibiscus and such would work inside. Hollyhock would also be a really pretty outside candidate.

I forgot something: Cichorium intybus is quite pretty, but I don't know if it would work inside. And don't forget about the violets/violas! Really pretty and edible.

Herbs such as Rosemary, Lavender, Oregano etc. are great as safe decoration, but they won't be eaten.

(Noooo. I'm not looking forward to spring! ;) )

He is still so small that I'm barely starting on a tortoise table for him. I'm planning an outdoor temp enclosure, probably a kiddie pool, that he can roam while supervised during the warmer months but I haven't started planning a permanent one just yet. Lavender would be a great one for him to hide in without risk of eating his camo lol

Thanks everyone! Sorry I'm just now responding. I was out of town and didn't get any notifications. And don't worry, Archimedes had a tort sitter :p

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
We did the research and planted Archimedes garden. Mini and thumbelina zinnias, johnny jump-ups, pansies and coleus. all safe to eat according to the tortoise table. He hasn'tr nibbled any yet, but he likes to lay on them. He is having a soak in the picture, he is such a a sweet good natured lil guy :D He likes to nuzzle my fingers and knows when I put down breakfast. his back will be turned and he will sense food is there and come scooting across the enclosure :D
archimedeshome1.JPG

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Oh man, I know i shouldnt be saying this but, another thing i do is when i go to the park with my son, I would pick out the plantians and broadleaf by the roots and replant them. and yes i doubled check with the gardener and they dont use any chemicals on their plants. They use the cut grass for their rabbits ^_^

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
That is awesome! I need to find somewhere I can get plantain from. The Kroger near us has an excellent organic greens selection and they also have dandelion leaves which made my day! Archimedes is trying to nibble his plants I think. He looks like Godzilla lol