Edible? (Plus Pesticide Question)

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Ive been told this is a Trumpet Vine. Ive also been told this is Honeysuckle. Im honestly not sure exactly what it is. Can anyone identify and tell me if Sulcatas can eat it?

I also have a Hibiscus plant behind my shed. I havent fed it to the torts yet because it's about 5 feet or so from the cornfield that Im pretty sure gets sprayed for insects. Is it far enough away from the field that its safe to feed?20180830_081625.jpeg20180830_081640.jpeg20180830_081644.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I use a “name that plant” website... their are several that can identify by your pictures. Once you have the correct name, you can use the tort table to Check and see if it’s safe for your baby.. I barely know a pine from an oak so this has been my guiding light!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey. The leaves and flowers look like a type of honey suckle, trumpet flowers leaves are different (but color of flower is close). Our honey suckle here has more white and yellow flowers.

Cornfield is too close....their spray would easily drift 5 feet onto your property. Be careful too if your tort is outside....theres no magical distance...and spray can easil drift far into your back garden.

Pennsylvania
Hey. The leaves and flowers look like a type of honey suckle, trumpet flowers leaves are different (but color of flower is close). Our honey suckle here has more white and yellow flowers.

Cornfield is too close....their spray would easily drift 5 feet onto your property. Be careful too if your tort is outside....theres no magical distance...and spray can easil drift far into your back garden.
Do you think the honey suckle is safe to feed?

I didnt feed the hibiscus and wanted to ask here first for exactly that reason. The honey suckle plant is in the front yard right by our front door. I take the torts outside and get grass from outside in the front yard.

Im growing all sorts of stuff inside and going to grow grass/tetsudo mix in a plastic kiddie pool for them to graze in when it gets too cold outside. I just have to have patience and find a variety to feed while all the plants grow haha.

Thank you!

Pennsylvania
I use a “name that plant” website... their are several that can identify by your pictures. Once you have the correct name, you can use the tort table to Check and see if it’s safe for your baby.. I barely know a pine from an oak so this has been my guiding light!
I will definitely look up that website. It would help me out a lot lol. Thank you!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Do you know about thetortoisetable.org.uk? They have a plant database that is pretty extensive. I just looked up honeysuckle on there and it says that the flowers can be fed in moderation but the berries are toxic and the leaves contain high levels of saponins (I can't remember the exact problems saponins cause but that's enough of a red flag for me to not feed it)
But you should look at the photo of the plant on there because it looks a bit different to me. I'm no expert at plant ID though.

Pennsylvania
Do you know about thetortoisetable.org.uk? They have a plant database that is pretty extensive. I just looked up honeysuckle on there and it says that the flowers can be fed in moderation but the berries are toxic and the leaves contain high levels of saponins (I can't remember the exact problems saponins cause but that's enough of a red flag for me to not feed it)
But you should look at the photo of the plant on there because it looks a bit different to me. I'm no expert at plant ID though.
I have the app on my phone. The plant I have didnt look like it matched trumpet vine or honeysuckle to me so thats why I wanted to ask here. Thank you!

Pennsylvania
I agree with @Maro2Bear
It is a red honeysuckle vine. The flowers are safe and the leaves are fine to feed on occasion. I would avoid the berries though.
Im going to walk out and look again because before the torts I never really paid much attention to it but I dont remember ever seeing berries on it [emoji53]

Ill look up red honeysuckle vine on google images because the pictures on tortoise table look different to me.

Thank you!!

Pennsylvania
I could only find one berry on the whole plant lol. But looking at google images it does look like a rrd honeysuckle. The images the have on tort table look a little different than what I have.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Greetings

I just took a walk back into our garden, as luck would have it, no blossoms on either the honeysuckle or wisteria, but i did take pix of the leaves/vine of both. (I occasionally give our Sully honeysuckle ‘cause it’s wrapped all on our Rose of Sharon).

FC2BA07D-B5AA-404A-9CCF-8C9862A9CF85.jpeg 8695D43B-AFB3-47F2-B4D7-7CE9BFCD99E7.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Greetings

I just took a walk back into our garden, as luck would have it, no blossoms on either the honeysuckle or wisteria, but i did take pix of the leaves/vine of both. (I occasionally give our Sully honeysuckle ‘cause it’s wrapped all on our Rose of Sharon).

View attachment 249919 View attachment 249920

***** Disclaimer! Darn it... looking back at this post, i see that labeled the SECOND photo as “wisteria” - it’s not, is Trumpet Vine... got distracted some how... and sorry too for any confusion!