Edible Tropical flowers for star tort question

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
Since I cannot grow dandelions no matter how I try, Can anyone help me what other kinds of flowers/plants I could feed my torts? It's monsoon season and store bought veggies are very expensive.

So far (plant-wise) I feed opuntia and hibiscus. I want to buy some plants that they could eat. I give grass too but they don't really eat them.

I have plants that I don't know if they could eat like cat's whiskers, citronella, santan, mini roses.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi....there are some posts here on the forum that would offer up additional plant/flower options.

You can go to www.tortoisetable.com to check on the ones at the end of your post, it is a handy site...as well as if you type in the name of the plants, example: "hibiscus toxic" you will find tons of sites that will give you tremendous information. :p

Good luck on your search.

By the way...Hibiscus is NOT toxic...I simply used it as an example ....

River14

5 Year Member
Ascott you are doing the right thing already in my opinion. Bind weed is also good and plentifull most places. If they are not eating growing grass thats because either its raining too hard or you are being soft. You have to be strict and put them out too grass at the most importune time. Ie when ever possible the rain stops. Dont worry if they dont tuck in they will soon if thats all there is. At this stage just toss in the odd treat (no more than twice a week) of a sun dried tomato (small) berry like a black berry or other berry, cranberry etc. Dont put it in their noses make them find it in the grass.

If its raining too much at the moment and its very dark outside they might just be happy to wait it out under cover like hay. When thats over dont spoil them but put them straight to grass no treat and watch the little devils munch!

Nasturtiums convulvulous violets , basically anything you can eat, its probably far far wider than this in the wild but there is no research on their natural diet plant species. So we have to stick to the ones we ourselves can eat to be sure. But in the wild torts will peck at any number of poisons and become immune over time. In our care that is not always possible as the rnge can be limited.

I am trying to give mine the widest range possible so I move from lawn to veldt to bush and abandoned farm land, they always seem to come home with little green stained lips and perfectly happy. Only long term will tell.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
roses, both mini and regular, pansies, various flowers of all the different types of squashes and zucchini and cucumber.

River14

5 Year Member
Ya but we have to be careful with flowers as they can be a bit too much low fibre etc. I found if you have access to hibiscus Rosa sinensis, that the buds calyx, stalk included are a good option. Then they get the fibre otherwise be cautious with too many flowers. Keep a basic Timmy hay as a place of sanctuary if your climate is ideally humid. Failing all they will eat the slightly softened hay and flowers, depending on your humidity. I use Chinchilla hay.

Listen to me rattle on like an expert, all I know is what my Stars have taught me. They are hard hard task masters but once you find what they like they are extremely active happy little BBs. One almost bit me today as it thought my finger was food hahahahhar har.

Keep monitoring the scat (faeces) if it nice firm like a large rat (with odd grass seed etc) then relax. If its squishy also relax just depending on the colour, green is best, but if its a mess of diarrhoea take immediate action and call your vet or stop feeding so many supermarket greens cut them out completley.LOL

Dmmj cucumber is not recommended lol, I also thought but no no no. Honestly soon we wont know what to feed our little stars.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
thanks Ascott :)

No i live in the city, no garden and grassy areas to graze on :( We tried to create an area where we put carpets of bermuda grass for them to graze but the grasses keep dying because well it probably lacks soil and sunlight since it's on top of tiles :/ So i have to rely on potted plants.

river14 - aren't you in hong kong? I'm surprise you have an area for them to graze on? Unless you drive them to somewhere? hehe My aunt lives there and she loves to plant stuff, since there's none in the city, they drive somewhere to plant stuff and go there once a week to harvest.

I do have hibiscus Rosa sinensis, it's the cheapest hibiscus here and thrives very well. Other hibiscus die and they don't really like it. This is the only flowers they eat... sometimes they take a bit out of pumpkin flowers. I want more varieties of plants I could feed though so I could stay away from market veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.