Effects of Bait Type, Bait Age, and Trap Hours on Capture Success of Freshwater Turtles

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Southeastern Naturalist 13(3):619-625. 2014
Ivana Mali1,*, David Haynes2 and Michael R.J. Forstner1

1 Department of Biology, Texas State University-San Marcos, 601 University Drive, San Marcos, TX 78666.

2 1810 W. Mulberry, San Antonio TX 78201.

* Corresponding author [email protected].

Manuscript Editor: John Placyk

Abstract

We trapped freshwater turtles using hoop nets and 3 different bait types along a short section of Oyster Creek, Fort Bend County, TX. Using a model-selection approach, we tested the effectiveness of different baits on capture success, taking into consideration the length of time the bait was in the water, time of day, and the number of hours for the set (trap hours). We had significantly more success when we used dry dog food and dry cat food than traditional canned sardine bait. Bait age and time of day when traps were checked had no influence on capture success. Contrary to our expectations, the number of captures decreased throughout the study. Our results suggest that turtle researchers should consider using alternative bait types to maximize trap effort. However, there was a significant interaction between canned sardines and bait age for Trachemys scripta elegans (Red-eared Slider) captures, suggesting that canned sardines should be replaced often. In addition, more research is needed to test capture success when baits are older than one day.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
The best success i had with capturing elegans in hoop traps was using Chorizo sticks (put them in a metal cage that they can't eat the bait and put it towards the top of the hoop trap. I was able to capture up to 25 per hoop trap a day.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The best success i had with capturing elegans in hoop traps was using Chorizo sticks (put them in a metal cage that they can't eat the bait and put it towards the top of the hoop trap. I was able to capture up to 25 per hoop trap a day.
Did you keep track of bait age vs. success and male/female ratios?

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I was getting 20%female catch, based on 10 turtles I would have 2 out of ten being female and the rest male (80%). For the bait i had the most success within the first 12hrs of it being in the water....after that all it attracted was grass carp. I found that placing the traps out around 4-5am was the best time to do it.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Yes in most cases, wherever a female is there is always a male or two always following behind. The more females i caught there was always a ton of males in the trap.