Egg hatching rear foot first???and slowly

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern US
My third Russian egg is starting to hatch - a rear foot has emerged. Is this normal?
12 hours since the little leg poked out of the one end, still no further progress.
It is only 5 days behind its clutchmate.
The egg however was much bigger and longer ( long and narrow).
Could there be twins in there not positioned right to hatch out?
How long do I leave it with no progress other than one rear leg sticking out?
I am a novice at this, I am probably over concerned
But seeking advice.
I will try to get picture, but do not want to disturb the egg

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
20160312_093104.jpg 20160311_183347.jpg 12 hours elapsed between lower picture and this morning upper picture. Little foot was sticking straight out, he pulled down before I snapped photo.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Keep the environment moist but otherwise I'm sure everything will be fine.
Sometimes a hatching neonate sits in the egg for a day or so after the membrane is broken.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
Keep the environment moist but otherwise I'm sure everything will be fine.
Sometimes a hatching neonate sits in the egg for a day or so after the membrane is broken.
Weird that it is a foot instead of the beak, isn't it?

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
I have had this happen a few times with marginated. No rhyme or reason. But to be frank, I'm hoping you have twins...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
In the first clutch of eggs I ever hatched, I had one who took three to four days (old memory) to decide to finish hatching. He never even stuck a good out. Was a Bells hingeback and turned out just fine, as for me, I got more grey hairs. :)

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
After not any real progress, I panicked! Only that rear foot sticking out, no beak pipping.
I chipped a bit more eggshell off with my fingernail around the leag opening. Very oblong egg - the baby was spiraled in there, her head was in the airspace, really did not seem to be able to reach she'll with her beak...
She is out, unfolding. VERY twisty from the spiraled position, but drinking with first soak -looks vey good. 17 gms. I will post pix as soon as I get to my phone.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
She backed herself out, head was in airspace unable to reach the shell. .it seemed at least

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
The above was moments out of shell. Has already unfolded much more, I read a thread discussing oblong eggs and spiraled hatchlings. Sounds like 2-4 days she will look normal shaped. ..
Active, drinking, very little yolk sac remains, almost sealed up . I'm keeping this one separate from the 2 other week old clutch mates for a day or so.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Nice.
Agree that oblong eggs often produce spiral shaped neonates. But as proof that these babies straighten out, just try and remember the last time you saw a spiraled adult.
Or the first time...