Egg laid with dents.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407736371.214258.jpg

So my big Female RT laid two eggs today. The first one had three dents in it and the second one was just a yoke. No shell! I've never had one laid an egg with dents in it. I'm going to put it in the incubator and see what happens. I'm guessing that she needs more calcium in her diet. She lives in quite a large outdoor enclosure with plenty of sun, shade, and fresh grown grass and weeds.

Anyone ever have a similar experience??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Is this her first clutch? That is fairly common. If not, then you need to bump up her calcium intake. I would sprinkle some powdered calcium on her food three or four times a week and also leave some cuttlebones around in several places in her enclosures. It wouldn't hurt to increase soaks to two or three times a week too.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
First clutch of the season and first clutch since I've had her. I don't know prior to two years ago. She was a rescue and was in quarantine during last breeding season.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ahh, In that case I refer to this as "priming the pump". It sounds like you've got a tortoise whose system is gearing up and preparing to go into full blown egg production.