Egg laying and incubation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Ok, so this is my first time incubating tortoise eggs. I got a leopard book and read it. So my question is why would a tortoise lay multiple clutches and all of them be infertile?? It seems as though the 3 clutches my female laid are infertile. I would think she would lay just one and that would be it. My male has been all over her during the beginning and middle of the summer and the eggs seem to be not developing. Should I cool the eggs maybe?? I read in Fife's book that they may need to be cooled!! Anybody else do this??
Any ideas out there??

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
I've had 1 female Hermanns lay 3 clutches and have every egg be infertile. As long as a female is getting attention from a male she will lay eggs if she feels that she has enough stored body fat to do that.
Have you been candling your eggs? Did none of them chalk up? Have any of the yolks settled to the bottom of the eggs? I know Leopard tortoise eggs can take a very long time to hatch, but I have never heard of having to cool them down to get them to develop.
If you have eggs with settled yolks that aren't developing, than it may work to cool them down for a month. Between 60F and 70F is fine for cooling down eggs.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.