Egg Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hi, I have a 9 yr old leopard Pinkly. It was just about a year ago she became eggbound and had to be treated with oxytocin to get her to lay them. She was certainly telling me something last year, by digging and digging and not eating. Well yesterday she did not eat, and tonight I saw her in the corner and she had this next to her.

http://picasaweb.google.com/NadineNat/Pinkly#

So.. since she laid one and probably has more, how long should I wait to be worried? I know we had to dose her twice with oxy before she laid the eggs last time, but I'm not sure about this time. She has been showing me no signs!!
OK she wants to be a mommy,
What else can I do to?
Thanks Na

kimmikins

5 Year Member
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww see i cant help on the what to do front as im inexperienced but i think the fact shes trying to be a mummy sooooooo cute.. i think yu can help her by getting mr leopard to pay a visit lol :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Was the egg hard shelled Nadine?

The only thing I can say is what I said the last time. You need to set-up a laying box or laying area in her enclosure. Even if the eggs are infertile, it's better for her to be digging a nest and laying the eggs than for you to have to keep bringing her to the vets to get a couple of shots of oxytocin.

Danny

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Danny, yes it was hard shelled.
She hasn't been digging at all this time. Should a laying box be separate? I did make some big changes in her enclosure. I have alot more substrate in her table, thinking she would dig. But that egg in the picture was where I found it. Where would you place the box?. She laid this right under the light.
Stephanie, she had 4 of these last time. Look up her Xray.(same size)It was around 12/08
Cool, but scarey.
Kimmikins, do you have a suitable young man available?????
Na

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If you put the box in the enclosure, it will have to be under a spot light (either the one she laid under or another one). It will have to have a depth of soil about 10 to 12 inches deep. It makes it hard to set something like that in the enclosure, so I always go with a laying box. For a Leopard a 4' X 2' box with 2' deep sides, that way you can get a 12 inch depth of soil. For that size box I'd give a choice of 2 hotspots. One at about 36C to 38C under it and the other one 42C to 44C.

Danny

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
OK, one more question, probably for Danny,is one egg normal? It is Am now and she did not have anymore. She is not showing signs of any distress, no scratching, digging etc.
Any advice?

kimmikins

5 Year Member
Nay said:
Danny, yes it was hard shelled.
She hasn't been digging at all this time. Should a laying box be separate? I did make some big changes in her enclosure. I have alot more substrate in her table, thinking she would dig. But that egg in the picture was where I found it. Where would you place the box?. She laid this right under the light.
Stephanie, she had 4 of these last time. Look up her Xray.(same size)It was around 12/08
Cool, but scarey.
Kimmikins, do you have a suitable young man available?????
Na

nooo i dont have a boy.. also im in the uk lol xxx

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Ditto what Danny said. If you're not providing an adequate nesting area for a tortoise that is laying, fertile or not, the tortoise can easily become egg bound. While you may usually notice the pre-nesting actions this time if the time comes that you don't, or you don't soon enough and the tortoise becomes severally egg bound it be fatal. Rushing the tortoise to the vet as part of the regular routine each time really isn't the best solution.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
OK, one more question Please.
We now have a very deep nesting area with a light above. (I walled off one corner so hubby only had to add one board to our tort table) Pics later.
Pinkly laid that egg 2 days ago. Only didn't eat that one day. (Last year she was Clearly telling me something was off)
She has not gone near that spot, nor does she appear to want to lay any more eggs. She is active, has pooped(Major one) eaten, like a pig, all of it. and seems fine.
Should I be worried?
How often do torts have just one??
Thank you.
Na

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I would suggest getting an xray to see if she has any more. they seldom have only one...especially in a 2nd clutch.
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.