eggcited but unprepared

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
one of my female Russian Tortoises has been digging nests recently. i have been keeping an eye on her closely. she is about 6 inches SCL and weighed 750g. she looked still young to me and small. i tried to touch the inner hind legs to feel for eggs but I am not experienced so i did not find or feel any egg in her. however when i walk to the backyard to feed my tortoises, i was still very surprised to see eggs lying on the ground.

she did dig a nice hole and buried one egg nicely, another one half exposed and two on the surface. it was sad to find a large egg cracked open a hole. she seems to be an inexperienced mom.

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
In the first photo below, you can spot two eggs with one along the brick edge and other one to the right. The one close to the brick has a hole on the side facing the brick, possibly caused by the egg rolling towards the brick. In the third photo below, you can see the nest with one egg half exposed and another egg 2 inches below.

I am totally unprepared and need advice on how to quickly set up for incubating. If anyone local would like to help out, please contact me.

Sean

Attachments

• RT1.jpg
    RT1.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 57
  • RT2.jpg
    RT2.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 57
  • RT4.jpg
    RT4.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 55
  • RT6.jpg
    RT6.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 62

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I would say get them in an incubator! If they are viable you want them to be healthy.. If you don't plan to incubate them then you need to properly dispose of them.

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
I would say get them in an incubator! If they are viable you want them to be healthy.. If you don't plan to incubate them then you need to properly dispose of them.

I have recorded couple of times two of the males (though one male is less than 5 inches SCL) in the clan mate with this female. There is good chance that they are viable eggs. One of the largest eggs is about 2 inch long! Do I have time to order and setup for incubator this late? Where and how should I keep them before the incubator is ready for them? Is there anyone local (Denver Colorado) interested in taking these eggs?

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
You should get to a store that has them maybe like a tractor supply or somewhere that sells chickens they normally have one.

Until then keep them.in a quiet place up high.

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
Later on I discovered another egg in the ground but also has crack in it. So for the first clutch, my female tortoise laid 5 eggs of decent size. I was able to quickly purchase an incubator online and put the 3 eggs that have no crack in the incubator on 7/4 (egg laid on 6/26).

About two weeks later, I candled the eggs and noticed one egg definitely has vein and dark area but the other two were pretty clear, not fertilized. Anyway they are all still sitting in the incubator. Today, about 69 days since egg was laid, as I went through my routine checkup, I saw a little head pip out of the egg shell - at that time I know my first Russian baby has arrived this world, welcome!

Attachments

• baby1.jpg
    baby1.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 48
  • baby2.jpg
    baby2.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 44
  • baby4.jpg
    baby4.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 40
  • baby3.jpg
    baby3.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 42

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
Congrats. I is exciting reading the panic in the beginning, and the great result at the end.
Joe

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
How exciting. Congratulations on your new hatchling. Enjoy your new little tort.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
That's so cool! Congrats!

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the nice words. The little one is gradually making an effort to be free from the shell. Here is one photo I took today and it showed he/she is getting the tiny front leg out.

Attachments

• tort5.jpg
    tort5.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 31

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yay!!! Congratulations! His little head is so cute!! I hope they all hatch out okay :D

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
Yes. Around 3PM today she is completely out of the shell and a natural digger, she hides immediately half buried. I soaked her and put damped paper cloth in the incubator and removed vermiculite container. Her yolk sack is almost gone and seems to be quite large baby. Should I start to feed her tomorrow?

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
Here are some of the photos. She is very actively and trying to crawl all over the places. I am thinking of keeping her in the incubator for tonight and transfer her to a more permanent enclosure tomorrow.

Attachments

• tort8.jpg
    tort8.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 26
  • tort12.jpg
    tort12.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 27
  • tort13.jpg
    tort13.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 26
  • tort14.jpg
    tort14.jpg