Eggs breaking when being pushed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
One of my greeks laid two eggs today that broke while she was laying them. The yolk came out first - then the shells. (She hadn't dug a nest.) What's going on? Does she need more calcium? Is she just expelling bad eggs? I'm at a loss!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if it breaks inside, its not good.. I think more calium is needed.. but not sure what else could be wrong... birds have that problem and sometimes its chemicals in enviroment.. like the DDT thing..

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
She needs more calcium in order to properly make eggs strong enough to endure being pushed out, and more hydration to allow her to create enough mucus to give them a smooth passage. As well as enough sunshine to allow her to utilize the calcium for both herself and eggshell development. If she has all of these then there is some other problem that is creating the thin shells. If she did not dig a nest she was probably just getting rid of infertile eggs, but they should still be properly formed.

princessdreamsxxx

5 Year Member
Sometimes on a first few lays they lay a warning sign which is a broken egg mess it looks like a yolk splattered and then a few weeks later the hard eggs follow I have a female that does this and then she lays a good clutch her first proper clutch in a nest she had 100% hatch rate but keep the calcium high do you have a product where you live called ACE? This is good as it is a high calcium boost but can only be used for a short time.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
I had a female sulcata do the same thing. I found that it was her anal scutes tearing the eggs as they were being laid. The scutes kind of curled up and came to very sharp points which then actually split the eggs in half like a knife.
But in your case I think it's probably more of a calcium issue but you might want to check her anal scutes just to be safe.
And don't worry, if she wasn't nesting, chances are she was just getting rid of the "duds". Keep an eye on her, she may start to nest for you!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.