Egyptian Tort Breeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello! I'm Devon~!
In the next few months, I'd like to purchase some Egyptians, but I only know of two breeders? Is there anyone on this site that can recommend some really excellent breeders for me so I can try to purchase one of these little guys?

Thanks so much for your time and help!

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
devsharkey said:
Hello! I'm Devon~!
In the next few months, I'd like to purchase some Egyptians, but I only know of two breeders? Is there anyone on this site that can recommend some really excellent breeders for me so I can try to purchase one of these little guys?

Question: pure bred CB Greek right?

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Will said:
Maybe you could share what you do know, and that would loosen up some answers?

Will

Sure! I know general knowledge about them from what I've read on the Internet, so I know about there sensitivities and how easily stressed they are. I plan on raising the one I find indoors though, with field trips outside for a few hours. I live in Arizona, so when summer hits they'll be in the shade of my citrus trees :)

I would like to get into breeding them, but of course when the time arises. I could start gathering hatchlings for a future breeding group, but for now I only want one so I can smooth out my routines.

I don't know what questions you specifically want answered, so I hope this helps some!

tyrs4u said:
devsharkey said:
Hello! I'm Devon~!

Question: pure bred CB Greek right?

I don't exactly know what you're asking me. This is a call for Egyptians, not Greeks, but that you!

billskleins

5 Year Member
I believe one of the Fife brothers raises a few Egyptians outside in AZ.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Most kleinmanni breeders are going to be pre sold. What the best scenario like Will stated. Is to set up an enclosure as if the animal was coming as soon as tomorrow. Get readings on temps, night/day, humidity etc... Get very detailed with the breeders you know. As soon as you seem ready the breedet will know. Then the possibility of getting on their list is greater. It takes time. But better to be ready, physically and psycologically, as well as prepared way ahead of time.

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Will said:
"but I only know two breeders"

Who are these two, that is the knowledge you said you had, but did not share.

Will

Oh! Ha, okay, well I am on Bill's list, but I won't get a hatchling for a year or so. And Mike Host offered me a hatchling, but in the late summer. I found a gentlemen named Peter who had a 10 month old he could sell me now, though, so I'm gathering my finances to purchase one :]

billskleins

5 Year Member
Long before Google or other search engines I read everything I could find about Egyptian tortoises before I purchased my first.
Luckily I came across Ed Pirog's name on the Internet as somebody who was raising these little guys. I contacted him and he volunteered the info he had collected. He snail mailed me copies of all the various articles he had come across in his search - all at his expense. He even supplied me a name of a breeder and I eventually purchased several of my first Testudo kleinmanni.
I will never forget his kindness in getting me started on my new hobby.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Now your cooking eggs. Such a great species, one day I want one, but for now I just awwe at your guys torts

Hybrid

5 Year Member
How much, approximately the price for Egyptian tortoise there at State?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hybrid said:
How much, approximately the price for Egyptian tortoise there at State?

Typically 250 on the low end for a baby to 400. Is what I see them for. Not a huge controlling market really, as they are limited availability. So whatever a breeder or keeper asks is usually what they sell for.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I know not, about breeders, that is. I do know they are critically endangered so I hope there is more sharing and doing and getting to keep these little ones existing. Cute as can be, although I did read cdmay's comment on another thread about them being a pretty rock personality wise. I guess if I was endangered like they are I would not be sulcata giddy happy either. Good luck with the cool venture. Yay! : )

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Call Andy at Arizona Tortoise compound...he has a website under that name. He is a fantastic guy. I do a lot of business with him. I know he sells Egyptian torts

Status
Not open for further replies.