Egyptian Tortoise Enclosure

NJTortoiseFan

Location (City and/or State)
Philly
Hi all. I'm very excited that I'll be getting an Egyptian tortoise at some point in the next few months. Accordingly, I've begun planning the enclosure. I was just wondering if I could get ideas from those who have kept Egyptians (i.e. with regard to your enclosure(s) what has/ hasn't worked?). Also, I know that glass aquariums are generally disfavored but was wondering if that's only because of the clear nature of the glass (which could be remedied by tape or paint) or whether they are disfavored for another reason (i.e. ventilation). Thank you!!

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Hi all. I'm very excited that I'll be getting an Egyptian tortoise at some point in the next few months. Accordingly, I've begun planning the enclosure. I was just wondering if I could get ideas from those who have kept Egyptians (i.e. with regard to your enclosure(s) what has/ hasn't worked?). Also, I know that glass aquariums are generally disfavored but was wondering if that's only because of the clear nature of the glass (which could be remedied by tape or paint) or whether they are disfavored for another reason (i.e. ventilation). Thank you!!
Look at the Egyptian tortoise sub section in Mediterranean tortoises. Tons of ideas and enclosure setups.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Aquariums aren't reccomended because of the cost compared to making a larger, correct enclosure and because of size.
Even a 55 gallon aquarium is only 12" wide. That's very cramped for anything but a hatchling. So it's money wasted after just a few months.
The glass sides are OK. You can work around that. You want something more square than rectangular. 48"x48" or more for a yearling is decent. And larger as they grow.
Most newer tortoise keepers aren't being realistic when they think of the space needed.