Egyptian Tortoises Outdoors in FL

JTaylor

5 Year Member
Hello everyone-

I have been seriously considering purchasing a pair of egyptian tortoises to breed in the future. I live in Orlando, FL and would like to keep them on my screened porch that receives morning sunlight (safe from predators, roof over screen so no rain gets on porch) in an arid setup tortoise table. FYI, I have several years of tortoise experience with redfoots. I have been researching their care, and the only concern I have is the humidity. The average relative humidity in Orlando is around 74%, with it being higher in the Summer months. Of course I would bring them indoors during Spring/Fall/Winter chills. I was just wondering if the surrounding air humidity itself is more of an issue or is it more of a substrate issue? I was planning on keeping them on calcium sand initially as suggested by the breeder and then progress to oyster shell. Does anyone have experience with keeping these guys outdoors in FL as long as they aren't exposed to rain/excessive moisture? If I have to house them completely indoors, I may not end up buying them. The breeder (John Coakley, great guy, btw) here in FL keeps his in his garage that is not air conditioned/no humidity control. I talked to him and he has never kept his outdoors due to fear of predation (wouldn't be an issue with my porch). Anyone have experience keeping these guys outdoors in FL?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Hey Jeff,

Cool to hear your buying from John! I've met him before, he shared a table right next to me at the NRBE last year, haha. Personally I would imagine that as long as the substrate and surroundings aren't moist, then ambient humidity may not be so much of a problem?…I've never kept Egyptians though, or any humidity-sensitive species, so I definitely can't speak from experience.

Now, I'm a little confused. You are wanting to keep them outside, and don't want to buy them if you have to keep them indoors, but you will be keeping them under a screened porch, where they will get no benefits from natural sunlight, etc….Nothing wrong with this, just curious what your reason is. Lack of space indoors? If your going to build an outdoor tortoise table, you could mostly enclose it and put in a de-humidifier. Would probably work just fine that way. Just an idea.

Good luck. Always can be more keepers of them out there. Marc Cantos (Turtlesource) bought I think a dozen of them from John last year, I wonder if we will be seeing CB Egyptians from him one day, haha.

JTaylor

5 Year Member
Thanks Pete. The screened porch gets direct sunlight during the day (sun goes through the metal screen). I have the space, inside, but having a tortoise table in the house all the time isn't necessarily the most sightly thing in terms of decorating ;). I would be bringing them in and putting them in my spare bedroom that's been coverted to my reptile room and providing UVB in the cooler Fall/Winter season.

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Thanks Pete. The screened porch gets direct sunlight during the day (sun goes through the metal screen). I have the space, inside, but having a tortoise table in the house all the time isn't necessarily the most sightly thing in terms of decorating ;). I would be bringing them in and putting them in my spare bedroom that's been coverted to my reptile room and providing UVB in the cooler Fall/Winter season.

Ah, I see. I had the picture in my mind of a covered porch…Yet I even typed screened porch, haha! I can see your dilemma. Hope you find out a solution. Tortadise from this forum keeps them, you could try messaging him and asking.
If John keeps his like you described, it's going to be just as humid in that garage as it is outside. He is incredibly successful with this species….So I would think they would do just fine for you ;).
Good luck :).

billskleins

5 Year Member
John is probably the most knowledgable and successful Egyptian breeder in the USA.
He keeps his indoors as do I. I believe Kelly (tortadise) still does as well.
I hope to eventually experiment with keeping part of my group outdoors during the non chilly wet months but haven't as yet. But it's probably not as humid here in NE Texas.