Eight Rescued Tortoises!

SanctuaryHills

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, FL
Good day everyone. Recently a friend contacted me about adopting some red footed tortoises. Knowing I have plenty of space and a soft spot for rescued animals he was sure I wouldn't refuse. And I didn't.

I got 8 tortoises total. Both males and females (including two cherry heads!) and they are all healthy and quite happy in their South Florida home.

My favorite part about them so far is how incredibly friendly they are. Like suuuhuuper friendly. I love how they've learned I'm the food guy so they all come up to me. They almost feel like living "boulders" that come to life all across the yard when they sense me come outside.

I've enjoyed them so much that know I've started doing a bunch of research on tortoises and become really interested in the Aldabra species.
They are just so expensive!

As sad as it makes me I'm actually leaning towards selling these or bartering to afford the Aldabra I want.

Would you guys know of a good and safe marketplace for tortoises?

Thank you so much! Look forward to meeting y'all!

Attachments

• 20210529_131126~2.jpg
    20210529_131126~2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 20210602_195523.jpg
    20210602_195523.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20210602_091439.jpg
    20210602_091439.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
  • 20210529_131134.jpg
    20210529_131134.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 20210529_131110.jpg
    20210529_131110.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 20210605_112347.jpg
    20210605_112347.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 34
  • 20210529_081855.jpg
    20210529_081855.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • 20210529_081840.jpg
    20210529_081840.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 35

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Beautiful RF.
Even in florida, you will have to have a big heated shed for those few cold times you do have cold wearher and a very large solid fenced in area. The cost of an Aldabra is just a portion of the expense.
Take a look at Aldabraman threads. Granted he has a herd of Aldabras and needs even bigger barns and yards, you can get a feel for what is needed.
He also is the best of the best to buy an Aldabra from.
Faunaclassifieds.com is probably the most active place to sell.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have been involved in turtle and tortoise rescue in one form or another for 30 years... and with me there's an unwritten rule...As an example...I was given a Redfoot that a guys parents paid $400 for...but after 2 weeks he didn't like it and gave it to me. I kept him for 4 months making sure he was healthy...then I adopted him to a woman in Oklahoma...for free...I got him for free and I gave him for free. Other members will think I'm bats...but what else is new...lol
100_0343.JPG

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
Beautiful RF.
Even in florida, you will have to have a big heated shed for those few cold times you do have cold wearher and a very large solid fenced in area. The cost of an Aldabra is just a portion of the expense.
Take a look at Aldabraman threads. Granted he has a herd of Aldabras and needs even bigger barns and yards, you can get a feel for what is needed.
He also is the best of the best to buy an Aldabra from.
Faunaclassifieds.com is probably the most active place to sell.
Thank you, that is some solid advise. Thankfully I live in south Florida (close to the keys) so a really cold spell is rare. Either way I went all out building them a "mansion" shed which they seem to love. I'll be rigging it with a heating bulb for emergencies.

I hear you regarding ownership cost. I'll do as most research as possible. And I think I'd keep two at the most.

Who is the source you recommended to buy from? I think I missed the name.

And thank you for the website, I'll give it a try tonight!

You are awesome

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
I have been involved in turtle and tortoise rescue in one form or another for 30 years... and with me there's an unwritten rule...As an example...I was given a Redfoot that a guys parents paid $400 for...but after 2 weeks he didn't like it and gave it to me. I kept him for 4 months making sure he was healthy...then I adopted him to a woman in Oklahoma...for free...I got him for free and I gave him for free. Other members will think I'm bats...but what else is new...lol
View attachment 331980
I hear you... I won't lie I do feel bad about it. not just because I got them for free, but because they have legitimately grown into me. It's only as a way to offset the cost of an Aldabra that I'm even considering this ;(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you, that is some solid advise. Thankfully I live in south Florida (close to the keys) so a really cold spell is rare. Either way I went all out building them a "mansion" shed which they seem to love. I'll be rigging it with a heating bulb for emergencies.

I hear you regarding ownership cost. I'll do as most research as possible. And I think I'd keep two at the most.

Who is the source you recommended to buy from? I think I missed the name.

And thank you for the website, I'll give it a try tonight!

You are awesome
His forum name is Aldabraman. He too lives in southern Florida. He starts his babies out the right way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, tortoises should not be kept in pairs. Hatchlings can't be sexed unless surgically sexed. If you ended up with two males, they will fight and one will get bullied to illness or death.
If you ended up with one of each sex, the male will try to breed the female to illness or death. So, if you get two, they have to have their own everything including enclosure. So get one or three, but even with three, you might have to separate.
@ALDABRAMAN can weigh in better about the concerns if any of keeping more then one.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Good day everyone. Recently a friend contacted me about adopting some red footed tortoises. Knowing I have plenty of space and a soft spot for rescued animals he was sure I wouldn't refuse. And I didn't.

I got 8 tortoises total. Both males and females (including two cherry heads!) and they are all healthy and quite happy in their South Florida home.

My favorite part about them so far is how incredibly friendly they are. Like suuuhuuper friendly. I love how they've learned I'm the food guy so they all come up to me. They almost feel like living "boulders" that come to life all across the yard when they sense me come outside.

I've enjoyed them so much that know I've started doing a bunch of research on tortoises and become really interested in the Aldabra species.
They are just so expensive!

As sad as it makes me I'm actually leaning towards selling these or bartering to afford the Aldabra I want.

Would you guys know of a good and safe marketplace for tortoises?

Thank you so much! Look forward to meeting y'all!
Hello and welcome. The medium size tortoise on the top left in the picture with them all eating is covered in shell fungus. That's the white you see. You'll need to treat that or it will lead to further damage to the shell. You can clear that up by getting a cheap tube of athlete's foot cream and applying it to the white spots for a few days. It should clear up.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
Hello and welcome. The medium size tortoise on the top left in the picture with them all eating is covered in shell fungus. That's the white you see. You'll need to treat that or it will lead to further damage to the shell. You can clear that up by getting a cheap tube of athlete's foot cream and applying it to the white spots for a few days. It should clear up.
Thank you! I had looked up some videos on YouTube and they recommended I use iodine. The shell has gotten SLIGHTLY better since I took these pics, (or maybe it's just placebo) but I'm no expert by any means. Do you recommend I switch to Athlete's foot cream instead?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thank you! I had looked up some videos on YouTube and they recommended I use iodine. The shell has gotten SLIGHTLY better since I took these pics, (or maybe it's just placebo) but I'm no expert by any means. Do you recommend I switch to Athlete's foot cream instead?
Athletes foot cream will definitely knock it out. It doesn't have to be the expensive stuff, you can get a tube at the dollar store. It's pretty common with outdoor Redfoots in FL since it's such a wet climate there.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
His forum name is Aldabraman. He too lives in southern Florida. He starts his babies out the right way.
Oh sorry I feel dumb. Reading your first post I thought you were reffering to the forum name. I'll definitely give him a shout. BTW I just posted on Fauna Classifieds and there is someone already I inquiring about one of my females. You are amazing. You are welcome to beer on me if down in South Fla.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
Also, tortoises should not be kept in pairs. Hatchlings can't be sexed unless surgically sexed. If you ended up with two males, they will fight and one will get bullied to illness or death.
If you ended up with one of each sex, the male will try to breed the female to illness or death. So, if you get two, they have to have their own everything including enclosure. So get one or three, but even with three, you might have to separate.
@ALDABRAMAN can weigh in better about the concerns if any of keeping more then one.
Thank you. I'd start with just one anyways. Planning to do lots of research on these giants. But that's really interesting. How multiple males can keep the mating balanced. Evolution is way wild.

I tried to message the man himself but got an error, probably an anti spam feature given my brand new account.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes! I was gonna make some joke that the white is growth lines that look like a fungus. lol...but I couldn't make it funny. Iodine is ok to use once on stuff but it also kills the cells needed for regrowth. I respect Toddrickfl1 opinion very much...especially when he said to get it at the dollar store...

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
Yes! I was gonna make some joke that the white is growth lines that look like a fungus. lol...but I couldn't make it funny. Iodine is ok to use once on stuff but it also kills the cells needed for regrowth. I respect Toddrickfl1 opinion very much...especially when he said to get it at the dollar store...
Im not one to question the experts! Already ordered me some. You guys have all been very friendly and helpful... and you just met me. My kind of people ? I hope to stick around for a while.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Think about how many very new people text or email him. I can't even imagine...Aldabs are not for a novice keeper. They are as you are finding out not cheap. Then add the expense and the research into just what kind of lighting, humidity, diet, substrate...I've given myself a headache. I'd do bunch of research so you don't sound like a noob and just possibly start with something smaller and easier access... just my opinion...:)