ELECTROCHEMOTHERAPY FOR THE TREATMENT OF FIBROPAPILLOMAS IN CHELONIA MYDAS

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 45(2):213-218. 2014

doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1638/2010-0125.1

Carlos Henrique Maciel Brunner, D.V.M., M.S., Gustavo Dutra, D.V.M., M.S., Caroline Brunelli Silva, D.V.M., Lucia Maria Guedes Silveira, D.V.M., M.S., and Maria de Fátima Monteiro Martins, D.V.M., M.S.

From the Universidade Paulista UNIP, Tenente Julio Prado Neves 965, São Paulo, SP, 02370-000, Brazil (Brunner, Silveira, Martins); Aquário Municipal de Santos, Bartolomeu de Gusmão Avenida, Santos, SP, 11030-500, Brazil (Dutra); Universidade Metropolitana de Santos UNIMES, 3935 Doutor Antonio Manoel de Carvalho, Santos, SP, 11080-100, Brazil (Silva); and Universidade Cruzeiro do Sul UNICSUL, Doutor Ussiel Cirilo 225, São Paulo, SP, 08060-070, Brazil (Martins, Brunner). Correspondence should be directed to Dr. Brunner ([email protected]).

Abstract:

Fibropapillomatosis continues to be an important cause of morbidity and mortality in sea turtles, particularly in Chelonia mydas. Turtles with this debilitating herpesvirus disease usually present with multiple, large, and ulcerated cutaneous masses that compromise both locomotion and feeding. There are very few available therapeutic strategies, with surgical excision being the most common. However, this surgical excision is associated with a high rate of local disease recurrence and secondary infections. Electrochemotherapy has been used for the treatment of epithelial neoplasm in several animal species. This technique is based on a combination of chemotherapy, usually with bleomycin or cisplatin, and electroporation. It consists of a series of short, high-voltage electric pulses that lead to increased membrane permeability and more efficient transport of antineoplastic drugs through the cellular membrane. Here, two C. mydas fibropapillomas were treated with a standard electrochemotherapy protocol using intralesional bleomycin sulfate injections followed by the application of electric pulses. Two sessions were performed, with a 33-day interval between sessions. Complete regression of lesions occurred without side effects or complications in each animal. There was no sign of local recurrence, even 1 yr after the end of treatment. Electrochemotherapy may be an effective therapeutic alternative for sea turtles with fibropapillomas.

Received: February 5, 2013

LITERATURE CITED

Due to the extensive literature cited, if you would like a copy, pm me and I will be happy to provide you with it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
To be honest, whe I first saw this thread title, I was ready to send it to spam heaven, but I won't now.