Elongated info please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tempe, Az
Hi all,
I've been looking at elongateds lately, and I really think its a perfect fit for me.
unfortunately, the care sheets seem to be scarce and a bit contradictory.
I've read adult sizes ranging from 8-16" , incredibly varied diets, and cage sizes from 4x2 to 8x8.
so.... I really wanna see if this is a good tort for me.
I can't do outdoor housing. I have room for a 5'x4' enclosure max.
my Tort room temps are usually in the low to mid 80s and 50% humidity.
any info would be appreciated. I'm looking to get one after christmas, so if you're expecting to have em available then lmk
thanks
K

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Hi Kenny,

Elongates are forest tortoises and have a preference for higher humidity. I would consider 50% the absolute low end of the scale for them and then only for relatively short periods. Hatchlings & juveniles particularly require more humid environments. In general, 80%+ is more appropriate. Temps in the low to mid 80's are fine as long as a non-luminescent heat source is also used to provide a basking spot in the low to mid 90's.

For hatchlings and juveniles, I would suggest a plastic container with a slightly ventiliated lid as a means of maintaining the required higher humidity. A 20 sq ft enclosure would house an Elongate for the first 3 - 5 years but as they get older they tend to wander around a great deal and I feel need more room. An ~60 sq ft enclosure would be ideal for a single Elongate and I would hesitant to consider something smaller than 250 sq ft for a single male and one to three females or two males. Males become aggressive toward females and combative toward males during breeding season. Subordinate males or females can become stressed to the point of detriment or injury if there is no escape for them. Plenty of visual and physical barriers are needed to maintain multiple specimens in the same enclosure. Although I have not seen the behavior in Elongates, female Forsten's tortoises will also occassionally adopt an aggressive posture and butt, bite and chase subordinate individuals, even larger males. It would not surprise me that Elongate females also occassionally behave similarly.

Adult sizes generally range around 12 inches. These torts do not enjoy bright light. They are crepuscular, becoming active in the evening around sunset and may even be active late into the night especially during the hottest part of the year. Additional activity is also noted in the early morning hours just before and shortly after sunrise. During the brightness of daylight they will generally be found hidden but may be somewhat active on overcast days or during and after rain. The diet in captivity, much like other forest torts should include varied greens and a higher (30 - 50%) fruit and vegetable component. They also enjoy a higher percentage of animal protein in their diet in the form of soft-bodied invertebrates and occassionally a pinky mouse but not more than 10%. They are said to be shy but I have found that when approached during their active period they lose the shyness rapidly and like most torts have a rather curious nature and distinct personalities.

The above are my personal observations and experiences enhanced by substantial research, your mileage may vary...

HTH,

Art

P.S. I would also consider the humidity too low in the tortoise room for your red foot and hingeback unless some means of providing higher localized humidity is present (e.g. humid hides, misting, etc.) in which case the same could be done for an Elongate. -- Just my 2¢

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
Thanks for the reply.
I do give my RF and hingeback mistings 3x daily and they both have humid hides and a few submerged bowls filled with wet moss(changed daily)

looks like the elongated will have to wait for now.
thanks for all the info

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
If you attend to the Elongates the way you do for the others, there would be no problem. You can easily raise them for the first year or two in plastic containers and then switch to the larger enclosure for the next couple of years. If you don't have room for them after that, you could always give them to me!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.