Elongated tortoise book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julius25

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
France
I am looking for a book specialized about elongated tortoise.
Does somebody know if it exist ?

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
If anyone have this specie and is agree to talk about, it can be great too.
it's always cool to have other opinions and experience.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
I have been keeping elongata for about five years now. I hatched three last year and have a few incubating currently. What questions do you have in regards to them?

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
What do you think about the proportion of fruit and vegetable, do you feed them with 50% - 50% ?
How often do you give them proteine food ? (snail, worms, ...)

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Julius25 said:
What do you think about the proportion of fruit and vegetable, do you feed them with 50% - 50% ?
How often do you give them proteine food ? (snail, worms, ...)

The following was posted by forum member Will. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-61851.html

The variety offered to my tortoises is strongly dictated by seasonal availability. Plenty of turnip and collard greens during the winter when they are inexpensive and grown somewhat locally. Pumpkin, sweetpotatoe, and apples are fed at this time of the year. Tomatoe, squash, stawberry, flowers and melons are offered in the spring and summer. Mullberry and colicasia leaves are the greens offered then, also assorted weeds. Mazuri tortoise chow is a staple all year. Usually I feed only one food item per feeding. Calcium is provided by cuttlebone loose in their pen. I am sure they forage for worms and other bugs on their own. A few times throughout the year they are give meat in the form of ground turkey, dogfood, and raw shrimp.

My animals are housed in a greenhouse with outdoor acces for about 7-8 months of the year. They are very cold tolerant, it has been 40-45F for the past week(no sunshine). On sunny days the airtemp easily reaches 80F. A 150W CHE provides some supplemental heat. The females hang around it while the male hides in the coolest areas.

They are a very interesting species and extremely hardy captives. They are much differnt than I.forstenii which gets upset at temps less than 65-68F.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
Thanks for your complete answer.
I try to have the most various diet but i observe that they have a preference for colored food (tomatoes, strawberry, ....)
I really love them it's a very interesting species.
I will post some pics of them soon.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Julius25 said:
Thanks for your complete answer.
I try to have the most various diet but i observe that they have a preference for colored food (tomatoes, strawberry, ....)
I really love them it's a very interesting species.
I will post some pics of them soon.
Strawberrys are certainly my elongata's favorite food. They literaly run to get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.