Elongated Tortoise Enclosure

trash.binh91

Location (City and/or State)
Dayton, OH
I would like to know the size requirement for an adult male Elongated Tortoise. Is it better to have a big enclosure so it can live it's life, or is it better to upgrade as it grows.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have elongated. However, if you can build the size needed for adulthood and then just block a portion of it off while little. Then enlarge as needed. That's what I did for my first leopard I hatched. He was the only one and I had a 4x4 greenhouse. Just too make it easier for me I blocked off a portion making it 2x4. The babies can handle the bigger enclosure in my opinion. After all they are born in the wild with all the room they would ever need. In captivity it makes it easier to keep things correct and too find them if they aren't tiny in a big enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Btw, I asked a member that has elongated but that doesn't come of the forum much for some care info for elongateds. In case you needed it.

Elongated info
Warm and humid don't like bright lights.

Humid closed chamber for a baby.

Adults 80 day and night but like it a little cooler in spots. Adults are 9-12 inches. Love mushrooms

Minimum size enclosure for an adult 4x8

Huckleberry

5 Year Member
I've noticed a tendency toward mild shell fungus with young elongateds in a closed chamber -- still working on solving that one. I would suggest going as large as possible with the enclosure, with lots of plant cover and things to climb over (rocks, logs, etc.). Mine do a surprising amount of climbing.

N

no one

I've noticed a tendency toward mild shell fungus with young elongateds in a closed chamber -- still working on solving that one. I would suggest going as large as possible with the enclosure, with lots of plant cover and things to climb over (rocks, logs, etc.). Mine do a surprising amount of climbing.

What do you do about the shell fungus @Huckleberry? Do you keep your young Elongated Tortoises in a closed chamber?
Turt has a fungus for the second time now, he does not do well in high humidity at all. He whistles from time to time also.
Turt weights over 300 gr now. I was wondering if I should keep him in a open enclosure. I soak him every other day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In my closed chambers for other species I use fine grade orchid bark for substrate. I'm able to maintain humidity in the high 80 percentile and still maintain a relatively dry surface. Would this help with elongated or RFs?

N

no one

Thank you @Tom, I switched to bark two weeks ago. I used coco coir before that. I read it here on the forum. U use it and Mark, I think. So I tought I would try the change.
Is it ok if there is a layer of water on the bodem and the bark on top of it? Doesn't it rot or gets to cold for Turt and Indu to be on?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you @Tom, I switched to bark two weeks ago. I used coco coir before that. I read it here on the forum. U use it and Mark, I think. So I tought I would try the change.
Is it ok if there is a layer of water on the bodem and the bark on top of it? Doesn't it rot or gets to cold for Turt and Indu to be on?
I dampen the orchid bark by dumping water into it. The lower layers stay damp while the upper layers wick the moisture up so it can evaporate into the closed chamber and keep humidity up, while maintaining a relatively dry surface. It can't get cold as it is in a heated closed chamber where ambient temp is maintained by a thermostat.

N

no one

Thank you Captain Knowledge, I rely on your knowledge and I am thankful for your kindness in sharing your knowledge. Lol
I learn a lot from you @Tom.

Edit: Sorry, just a bit silly this morning... But I do mean it.

Reactions: Tom

trash.binh91

Dayton, OH
Just a sad note I wanna have to add to the thread: I might ultimately not be getting a tortoise after all, since I had decided to take in a 75gal fish tank, I gave up my tortoise opportunity...though I will possibly get a tortoise in later years, like a lot of years. Either way, I have this account just in case!