EMERGENCY help please (zoonotic disease)

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cali
Long story short. I purchased a bird from a breeder a week ago and it has shed a virus throughout our whole house. Bird looks to have PBFD and psittacosis and possible cryptococcosis. My whole family has been tested and we are positive with an unknown bacteria and on meds for psittacosis and doing further testing. My 2 conures starting showing rapid symptoms of losing feathers and they were all quarantined and shedding this throughout my house and my dog is infected and now I think my 2 sulcata tortoises are infected!!! They are 2 1/2 yrs old. They were eating and drinking fine but I am looking at them now and I think their eyes might be swollen and I see some redness...I used to seee the whites of there eyes no problem but now, there eyes are not white. I want to know if anyone has experienced or is knowledgeable in this area. What are the symptoms in tortoises with psittacosis? There are no other symptoms other than the ones I described. They are my darling babies and I have to take them in soon but not sure when as we have spent A TON on medical help and medication all in a short period within a week. There are no words and I hope noone ever experiences this type of illness.....This sick lady wiped out my whole house and my whole family as I have kids and my 2 yr old was in the ER a few days ago..all for a mere few hundred bucks.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Never exp. it, but here is what I gleamed. Bacteria, treat with antibiotics. Mimics pneumonia, only a handful of parrot to human. cases, no record of any other cross species contamination. Diagnosis, can only be made with blood test, confirmed anyways. Since the eyes already look swollen, one of a signs of a possible RI, if it was me I would get some blood drawn.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah, I have been researching the hell out of your post and I too find that it is Highly unlikely that the bird transferred the illness to the dog--or other animals...not impossible, but unlikely.

What are you going to do with the bird(s) that are carriers/infected? I mean, have you moved their housing to an area in the home that can be controlled and off limits to your children?

Have you informed the breeder of the issue?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG, I am so sorry this has happened to you. I have never heard of this before, it sounds terrible. Maybe @tortadise will have some insight on this for your tort. I sure wish you all a quick and safe recovery. I hope it's not something that you will have to always worry about after you have all recovered. Please keep us posted on how you all are doing.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well birds are very closely related to tortoises in terms of disease issues and similar care . Best thing to do. Is to separate each one of them. Quarantined together will not aid this. Humans can develops an antibody much more rapidly than a reptile or bird. A blood panel needs to be done and see which values are elevated or declining to determine which antibiotic to use. An anti fungal antibiotic like danofloxacin sounds like it may work(but that's completely speculators)But there's so many out there for each cause of infection. Just going off typical medications would be a bad diagnosis. Do you have any carcasses of animals that have died from this? Histopathic necropsy would be your best bet at finding what it attacks, and treatment can go forward from there. PCR analysis would be recommended as well. I know you have spent quite a bit money stated thus far. But it will take some more to do the correct diagnosis to expel this.

For now make sure all your animals are separated in their own area away from each other(own room if possible) get lots of boxes of surgical gloves only touch or handle when giving medication and toss each pair away. May want to pick up a lot of antibacterial and hand sanitizer too. Could go to walgreens and get betadine to shower with, or at least wash your hands with that and a good antibacterial soap. How was this diagnosed by the way?

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
Hi all, this has been so hard. Today has been the first day in 8 days that we have been home (even though I'm not so sure I wanna be here). I didn't explain all because I didn't want a long post and figured this was for tortoises so I had to cut it short. From start to finish, I purchased from this breeder who said the bird was unhappy and plucking and needed a new home. We exchanged info and I told her my main concern was health and behavior because I have kids and other animals in my home (2 conures, dog, tortoises) and they are all happy and my 2 little birds even get along well with my american bulldog. So anyways, we drove an hr and some change to go see the bird. From what I could tell she seemed to be telling the truth but I had doubt so I started questioning her about PBFD (Psittacine beak and feather disease) and she quickly said all her animals were vet tested and she had to find the paperwork so I told her to email it to me. They seem like an old decent church couple in their 60's and my ignorant self took their word since animals are my world and I figured to adopt an old bird instead of purchase a baby from a breeder (I find that rehomed animals are so grateful and the best pets)! Anywhoo the sick people met my 2 year old daughter and 5 yr old son and happily said "keep him in the family room." Something was telling me it seemed odd but I ignored that feeling and we took the bird home and I set it on the counter to gather other things inside from the car. I fed him there and then brang him upstairs to the guest bedroom. Well my son opened the door and my little sam tried to attack the bird through the cage (sam is my pineapple turquoise conure) then cammy (cinnamon conure) comes flying out too. I placed the bird in the guest room and took my birds downstairs to calm down. They knew that bird was carrying something! My birds do not act like that. The next day sam was lethargic and sleeping too much, then the 3rd day I noticed sam looked ragged and then 4th cammy and sam started losing feathers and I quarantined them in my bathroom. I started feeling funny from then on and then my daughter started showing symptoms! I got the bird on june 24th and by friday my daughter was not doing good and all of our eyes were swollen in the tear ducts and inside lining of the lower lids and everything felt weird in the air. I emailed that lady that something was wrong on friday and her responses were horrifying as she was really defensive and criticizing me calling me a layperson. I told her that the bird appears to have PBFD even from findings and my daughter and my family and my birds are getting sick and she said I was over my head and need to calm down. I told her to send me the vet paperwork via email and fax it to my vet as well. If you read her response to me, you guys would be livid and would realize,then, that she knows damn well what she is doing! She never responded to me again. I went through my notes for zoonotic diseases as I just went over all that in Veterinary Technician. I came across psittacosis and cryptococcosis as our symptoms were pointing to that.
My husband and I took turns in the quarantine to feed them and clean everything daily. I took care of my birds first (obviously the diseased bird is the culprit) then after my birds I took care of the diseased one so that I wouldn't transfer anything back if I had done it vice versa. They started shedding some kind of virus in the air to where we could no longer go in there without seeing black dots in our vision! Saturday my daughter had a fever and it kept fluctuating but getting higher and higher each time. I gave her tylenol and ibuprofen and then sunday I went to the ER with her. Tested positive for an unknown bacteria, got xrays, urine, CBC, and titer tested. We went back again monday. Then I brang my husband and son in Tuesday for testing as well. We are all on meds for psittacosis and we went back again yesterday. Animal control picked up the birds tuesday, I have contacted CDC, public health of CA...for all we know this could be airborne. IDK who it was that said that this cannot be transferred to animals but OH YES IT CAN! Even cattle and livestock! All of central valley will be infected if this is something serious! I told them that whatever this was is rapid and fast and I have never heard of something this fast before. I feel like we are dieing inside! god only knows how my daughter must be feeling being only 2!!! I told them we cannot clean and we keep getting reinfected and symptoms are overriding the meds..we are quarantine downstairs and we cannot go upstairs at all but to shower real quick! Someone needs to quarantine my home or bomb it idk but if they find out what it is then part of CA might be quarantined? IDK but we are awaiting results on the birds and our lab results as well. I cannot afford to go to the vet until next week and I am just sad and crying and it has been crazy hectic. My dog started showing symptoms so I have been treating him with doxycycline for 2 days and he seems to be better but I think he might need an IM. I am so shocked at how everyone is acting nonchalant and not taking special precaution as I told animal control they need a hazmat suit and a mask and not breathe this in.....guess what? They come in a pick up truck with gloves! They told us to place them on the bed and they drove off with feathers flying all over san joaquin county shedding this disease!!!! Some animals are dead end host like dogs, cattle, but birds can be carriers and spread it (parrots I shall say <--that we know of so far) I am so shocked at how everything is taking place and anxious for results. The meds are helping but we have other symptoms and I think cryptococcosis so I called animal control to test for it yesterday! I have contacted law enforcement and they are working on this lady and her home. I have tried contacting everyone I could and I feel noone was listening or not taking it seriously! How stupid to wait for a few to die before taking swift action? Those of you that live in CA, I am warning you and will keep you guys posted through this thread! I hired a lawyer and I want to take it to the news but results are what is most important first of all so I cannot take any action until then. I have evidence via email with this lady and she is well known in her community and donates tons to aviculturist and people who want to breed exotics where they are illegal, she donates to make it legal. She has illegal species in her home I'm sure and I seen 1 that was illegal in the state of CA. I contacted her friday and noone took action till tuesday! So she had days to clear her house if anything...after I told her friday I went to see if she posted more birds online and she started posting FAST like she was in a panic to sell them. WHo knows howmany bought sick birds?! I have flagged them all the best I could in hoobly and CL and other sites. This is just insane and I hope noone goes through this ever! She wiped out my whole house and family...It is terrible living the way we are right now. I hope they hurry and hope they figure this out so that I can have my life back. I'm afraid we cannot live in this house anymore and I will be shocked if they don't destroy the home...everything is contaminated, even the walls! We might have to sleep in a tent outside till they figure it out. I hope my daughter is safe and I pray nothing happens to her, this is so awful. I already lost our first daughter at 6months...I cannot lose another child!!!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well this is a fungus. So it's not airborne. The best way to describe this it is. A very nasty zoonotic like staph. There are many many strains and developments of staph as well as cryptococcosis. It has to be figured out through culture exactly which strain this is. Many fungus infections could also play in symptom form as one but could be another. It is serious for sure. It's sad that organizations don't take things seriously as you stated. Because it could be a very very serious threat. It is highly contagious but not floating around in the air per say attaching itself to anything and everything. What you need to do first is figure which strain it is, and what exactly it is. Have 2 or 3 vets do cultures to verify.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
animal control are testing them and I don't know where they are as far as testing or how they are contained. I pray my 2 birds are ok, they are part of our family. this is devastating. I will not let this go regardless, I will fight and this women will either be locked up or banned from ever owning an animal again! I hope this goes out to all other bird breeders who are breeding for money and not the health of the bird!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Fungi can spread by air with spores, but I'm not sure on that particular one. There are so many different strains it's scary.

Kyle

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
My dogs wbc count came out to 40k...it should be 17k! He is highly infected so the vet is monitoring him and then he cannot see my tortoises till next week...i just hope it isn't too late. I have had the heat on them 24hrs every day and every other day I have been turning it off at night for 8 hrs. Any suggestions in the mean time, they don't have any bubbles coming from their nose or eyes I just noticed that one of them has swollen eyes.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
They are doing very well =D
They had 2 injections each of doxycycline and I have had them on probiotics almost every day (skipping some days) and I have reptaid, however, I have not used it. Just wanted to let everyone know they are doing well and I'm going to update their pics in one of my old threads!

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
What were the final test results? Do they know what the bird was sick with? Did that bird survive? What about your other birds? Husband, children, dog?