Emergency please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

baybay

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
please i need some help bubbles just came out of my tortoises nose! this has never happend its always warm in there but, for some reason it got to 60 degrees last night could that have to do with it? what do i do PLease anyone reply

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
First thing is... don't panic!!!!

Is it too dry in the enclosure? Or too moist? This can make a difference. A bubbly nose could be a respiratory infection, but that's not always what it is. Sometimes it's just from the dryness/humidity, or temps... Mine had a bubbly eye once, and then never again.

What kind of tortiose is this, and size?

baybay

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
OK ill calm down. thanks for the fast reply. he is a cherry head red foot and is somewere around 7.around 6-8 inches and 4-5 wide. I have an open top so the humidity is around 60(i am trying to find a solution to that). but were his basking light is its really dry, but i just replaced the substrate with bed-a-beast so the rest of the enclosher is moist(thought it would help with humidity) i took him out of his cage misted him and then the bubbles started.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I don't know much about red foots, I'm sure someone will get on here that does, but from what I know I believe they need at least 70% humidity. Don't worry, he'll be okay! Once the experts get on, they'll give you more suggestions!

baybay

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
things are looking up he ate a big leaf of romaine and then pood

baybay

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I guess the vets appointment was good. He has got a bad respitory infection, so they have to keep him at the hospital for atleast 7 days :( . Well now that i got the bad news over with the good news is the vet said he more than doubled in weight, has strong muscle mass, great shell, and is happy and responsive. She said that wen she saw him about a year ago he was weak and malnuturist. So besides this dumb respitory infection it is a clean bill of health :thumbsup: Thanks for everyones help through this stressing situation.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I am so sorry to hear your little one is ill.
Good thing you took him to the vet and always encourging to hear you are doing things right (doubled in weight, has strong muscle mass, great shell, and is happy and responsive).
Keep up the good work.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
A big round of applause goes to you for getting him into the vet right away. Respiratory problems can be dangerous, not to mention nerve wracking. Fabulous that he has done so well in care this last year. Here's fingers crossed that this set back is minor and over with quickly.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Well it is very good you got him in. They can be very nasty, I have a three toed that I rescued and when I got him he had swollen eyes due to lack of UVB, anyhow he ended up getting a RI. The only way I knew it was when I washed his eyes he bubbled out the nose. But long story short before I got him he had an RI sometime and it was so bad that his nostrils burst so know he has one big nostril. After 2 wks of shots and a few force feedings he is better and in with a playmate. So I know yours will be better soon.
Good Job catching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.