EMERGENCY SEXING PLEASE!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I have a chance to buy a "female" sulcata from a guy at a reptile show tomorrow morning. It's about a 2 hour drive away and don't want to waste my time if it's not a female. These are the pics he sent me. The tail looks a little long in the pics, he says it's about 1.5 inches, and no concaving on underside of shell. Also, small gulars. Any ideas? I'm leaning towards male, just because the tail does look long to me and the anal scutes are pretty wide. Please help!

095IMAG0133.jpg

095IMAG0126.jpg

095IMAG0125.jpg

095IMAG0122.jpg

095IMAG0131.jpg

095IMAG0130.jpg

095IMAG0127.jpg

095IMAG0132.jpg

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
anyone else?? i think the tail may look deceivingly long. he says it's only about an inch and a half long. Mr T's tail is a good 3-4 inches long....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure its a young male. The shell will do a bit of changing as he gets bigger. Some of them don't develop the concave plastron until they are quite big, others seem to get it when they're smaller. You really can't go by that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not 100%, but it looks male to me. I had one that was even bigger than that that I thought was female for a long time. He was around 9 years old before it was obvious. He had (and still has) a small head and small gulars, he acted female, the bigger male humped him all day and he had a totally flat plastron right up until that time. The pictures really remind me of him. By contrast, here's Daisy my small three year old. Should be very obvious.
2wdu4q9.jpg

Also, Delores, my 11 year old, 18" female, has a tiny little nub of a tail. Its less than an inch long and the cloacal opening is very near the end.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
thanks for the input. i was hoping my instincts were wrong, but apparently not. oh well. hopefully i'll find a reasonably priced female sometime....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Red Earth Exotics said:
oh well. hopefully i'll find a reasonably priced female sometime....

HA! Good luck with that! :p

Be sure and let us all know if you do.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
Red Earth Exotics said:
I guess no trip to Tulsa for me tomorrow... :(

Yeah, I agree. It's not worth the trip if it was supposed to be female. It looks very male and it is still small.

Status
Not open for further replies.