Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
As you all have heard by now, this year's Manouria eggs were a bust. I only hatched out one baby and it seemed a little weak...not thrifty.

I operate a turtle and tortoise rescue in Central Calif., and my sister lives in Corvallis, Or. She used to help me at the Rescue until she moved north. I get in hatchlings all the time, and I don't like to adopt them out that young, so my sister has always "head-started" them for me. She still does that for me even though she has moved to Oregon. So last year I sent her three hatchlings of an unspecified breed of tortoise to head start, and a couple days ago I rented her a car and she brought them back here for me to adopt out. While she was here she suggested that she would like to try her hand at making my unthrifty Manouria baby, now called Emmie, live. So, because she has done so well with the hatchlings in the past, I let her take Emmie home with her.

Here's hoping my sister can work her magic on this baby! She has head-started 50 or so hatchlings for me with only 1 fatality so far. I think that's a pretty good average since babies, especially the kind of babies I get, are hard to keep alive.

Yvonne

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Sounds like your sister has a good shot at making it successful for both of you. Then you will have a happy story to end a not-so-happy beginning. Good luck Sis!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
It sounds like a good idea. Oregon is cooler and more humid, so Emmie may do well there. I know my babes like the cooler area of the tort room ( heat from RF and Star enclosure, no supplimental heat for them). We're all rooting for that little girl.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
good luck, if your sister cant do it then it just wasn't meant to be. the torts in good hands.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Here is wishing good luck to your Emmie and you and your sister Yvonne.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I think Emmie will thrive in your sister's care and to help a little bit, I've got fingers crossed and good thoughts going her way. Looking forward to hearing progress reports.

Since I don't know that much about Manouria, may I ask if you are expecting another clutch to be laid this year or will it be next season? Whenever it is, I'm sending good, positive thoughts for the successful thriving clutch you're hoping for. Take care.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
katesgoey said:
Since I don't know that much about Manouria, may I ask if you are expecting another clutch to be laid this year or will it be next season?

The female Manouria only constructs one nest and lays one clutch of eggs per year...during the monsoon season. I've been waiting a little over 10 years for this to happen and thought this was my year.

Thank you everyone for all the good thoughts. I will have to wait until next year and our artificial monsoon season to see if I have Manouria success. Its just bound to happen sooner or later!

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
1. What did the unkn torts end up being? Do you know yet?

2. I had a goat named Emmy. She was born weak, I slept out in the barn with her on my chest. She would stop breathing and I woud do Mouth to Mouth. She lived a long time. :) Her name Emmy.. M and M from mouth to mouth..

3. What is you changed the artificial Monsoon season to not occur in the middle of summer. The hay inthe nest might not get so hot so fast?? Is that posible?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Yvonne, what is availability of water in your area ? I have heard in parts of California they have water rationing which would impact the creation of an artificial monsoon. You also have the fire danger there that would restrict that growing thick underbrush, right.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
1. What did the unkn torts end up being? Do you know yet?

2. I had a goat named Emmy. She was born weak, I slept out in the barn with her on my chest. She would stop breathing and I woud do Mouth to Mouth. She lived a long time. :) Her name Emmy.. M and M from mouth to mouth..

3. What is you changed the artificial Monsoon season to not occur in the middle of summer. The hay inthe nest might not get so hot so fast?? Is that posible?

Hi Laura:

I'm not sure what #1 is referring to...its that old age thing that Terry sent the raccoon picture about (lol).

I start the sprinklers in the Manouria habitat as soon as the night time temps are consistently 60 and above in the spring. Next year I'm going to see if I can't find cypress mulch in large bales to use instead of hay. I may have to order it online, as I can't find it here except in very small bags at Petsmart.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Itort said:
Yvonne, what is availability of water in your area ? I have heard in parts of California they have water rationing which would impact the creation of an artificial monsoon. You also have the fire danger there that would restrict that growing thick underbrush, right.

I pump my water up from the ground, so there isn't a rationing problem with water. And I have a mini rain forest planted. Most of their area is planted with trees, shrubs and scrub, with only a small portion saved as open land with dichondra, clover and the Mediteranean tortoise seed mixture that I bought from Turtlestuff.com.

Yvonne

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
the artificial monsoon sounds really cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yvonne...have you checked Home Depot for cypress mulch? That is where I get mine. It is a pretty big bag.
Prayers for Emmie
Good luck
Patsy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Emmie is about 6 weeks old now. Maggie tells me she is really ornery. She lunges at the hand of the food god and gives the food god the "evil eye" This is the picture of the evil eye:

Emmie-2.jpg

And here's a shot of her in her mountain goat mode:

Emmie2008.jpg

Its funny that such an ornery little baby can grow up to be one of the most personable tortoises on the planet. There isn't a shy bone in any of my Manouria's bodies.

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Shy is an unknown concept to a Manouria, they might miss something.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Oh, Yvonne, Emmie is precious. I love that evil eye she gives :p Glad to see she is doing good.
Great work Maggie :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Such a sweet looking lil brat! Just so happy hearing she keeps getting stronger and stronger.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
She's looking good. Maggie has the touch.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am so glad she is doing better!! The three unknown hatchlings were the ones you said your sister brought down to you to adopt out I believe..

Status
Not open for further replies.