Emotional Support Animal

baldegale

I was just thinking Can a turtle or a Tortoise be a Emotional Support Animal... And what it take's... When I have a Vary Bad Day spending time with Big Sexy our RES he just Brighton's my Day... So I think Turtles And Tortoises would make Great Emotional Support Animals...

not sure about tortoise or turtles but know snakes can be

south12_9

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
I am NOT making fun of people nor the animals by no means.. Turtles and Tortoises just make me feel good..

Bee62

Germany
I was just thinking Can a turtle or a Tortoise be a Emotional Support Animal... And what it take's... When I have a Vary Bad Day spending time with Big Sexy our RES he just Brighton's my Day... So I think Turtles And Tortoises would make Great Emotional Support Animals...
I think every animal can be a emotional support animal. The love of the owner to his pet makes the pet to the owners personal emotional support animal. So even reptiles can be such an animal for the owner.
Even fish in a aquarium can be. Watching them doing their day is very interesting and peaceful way how these fish their emotional support to the owner.
The purring of a cat is beneful for the owner too.
So to my opinion every beloved pet can be an emotional support animal.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I just took a on line Test & Survey Approving my RES Big Sexy as a Emotional Support Animal...
For only $239.95 I can get the Deluxe Emotional Support Animal Package.. WowView attachment 253442

Those certificates, cards, and equipment are scams. Only a letter from a mental health professional is required when seeking approval to keep your emotional support animal with you in certain areas and places.

Emotional support animals do not have access to the same level of rights as service animals do. Many places such as hotels, college campuses (not dorms), retail stores, and restaurants do not have to allow emotional support animals if they don't wish to.

Murrieta, CA
When I was younger I had I guess maybe box turtles, not sure. Found them in Arkansas and thought I'd smuggle them home. (I was young and no one discouraged me) I lived in California, I did this a few years and never had an issue. This was 30 years ago, before the strict security. Anyway, I never saw saw a turtle to be anything more than be a turtle. Yes they come for food, but not more than that.
Monday I took custody of my mom's tortoise she's had since A hatchling, now 14. He's been entertaining, maybe it's just me but I can see he's got a personality. A bit stubborn with new food, he's spoiled! He sulks with a change of bed location and he actually comes when I call for him. My son asked if you can train a turtle, I didn't think he could do anything on command. But I'm wondering if it's possible now. Apparently I sound like my mom, wasn't sure if that was a compliment but because of this he seems to have had no issue adjusting. Thursday I sat on my patio cement and Harley was walking the opposite way, all I said was "Hey Harley, come here big boy" I made a few sounds, like I was calling a horse or dog, lol (a click click with side of cheek sound and kissing sound) I couldn't believe it, he turned around saw me sitting on the ground and walked to me. Then he saw the cat on the other side of my sliding door and wanted in, so I let him, lol
So, I can see why my mom was heart broken to give him up.
I was reading through the list of animals and one was a ferret. Again, it's either my rebellion for rules and authority or...
A friend from Tennessee (truck driver) brought me a baby albino ferret (illigal in CA) and talked me into going on the road for a few days. So princess and I went on a road trip. A week into it I needed to get home, now in Texas I purchased a one way airplane ticket. Because princess (baby ferret) sleeps most of the time and they can sleep deeply, I figured I'd be good. I did it with turtles,So I wrapped her in her fleece travel since pillow case, stuffed her in my sports bra (no wires for alarms, lol) and went through security. Not realizing one way tickets cause you to be searched. They put me with a woman for a pat down. This woman starts sneezing, she asks me if I've been around any animals. Quickly I said yes, my grandmother has cats. She couldn't handle it and had someone else pat me down. Thank god they didn't see my cleavage filled with a sleeping ferret, lol love oversized sweet shirts! Just think, I could have called her a support animal and no need to smuggle!

Murrieta, CA
Minority2, I was eating in a resteraunt and I looked over and saw a woman with her small dog in a baby stroller. It bugged me to be eating with someone's animal next to my food and table. I asked my waitress about this and she got her manager. They went to her table came back to me and said, we can not ask her to leave because of lawsuits, it's her right, she claims emotional support animal and they did not need proof. They did offer to move me. when we left, I began research and just couldn't believe the info on it. I'm good on service animals, but now you see everyone's dog with a vest now. Personally I do not believe restaurants, grocery stores, anything with food should be allowed to bring in your animals. I know a lot would disagree but I think animals should not be brought on daily errands. Most times it's too hot for animals to be left in cars so that means people with fears, allergies or just someone that didn't like animals has to be exposed with out choice, because you, (not You, lol) can't leave the house without your pet.
I also don't believe a emotional animal should be able to legally wear a service dog vest. Kind of like a handicap sign. I'm not hating, and don't want haters, just my opinion.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I just read recently that most airlines are going to limit emotional support animals to dogs and cats.
This after a woman wanted her pig with her, someone else wanted some kind of huge bird, etc.
Doesn't mean they can't be ESA's, but they can't fly in the cabin.
Gotta say, I think smuggling the ferret is a great story! Love it!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I Thank god they didn't see my cleavage filled with a sleeping ferret, lol love oversized sweet shirts! Just think, I could have called her a support animal and no need to smuggle!

That is hilarious!! I thought my daughter & I were the only ones who did things like that.. she took a baby squirrel that she was bottle feeding to school in her bra:)

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Minority2, I was eating in a resteraunt and I looked over and saw a woman with her small dog in a baby stroller. It bugged me to be eating with someone's animal next to my food and table. I asked my waitress about this and she got her manager. They went to her table came back to me and said, we can not ask her to leave because of lawsuits, it's her right, she claims emotional support animal and they did not need proof. They did offer to move me. when we left, I began research and just couldn't believe the info on it. I'm good on service animals, but now you see everyone's dog with a vest now. Personally I do not believe restaurants, grocery stores, anything with food should be allowed to bring in your animals. I know a lot would disagree but I think animals should not be brought on daily errands. Most times it's too hot for animals to be left in cars so that means people with fears, allergies or just someone that didn't like animals has to be exposed with out choice, because you, (not You, lol) can't leave the house without your pet.
I also don't believe a emotional animal should be able to legally wear a service dog vest. Kind of like a handicap sign. I'm not hating, and don't want haters, just my opinion.

This was actually one of the things I had to do quite often when I used to work as an assistant store manager in a retail drug store. Laws do indeed protect people from being asked for specific proof. We can however, ask questions and ultimately, make the decision to either allow their animals to stay or have them leave. If customers either refuse or cannot back their claims of what their animals can do, I usually ask them to leave. I worked in a very liberal upscale neighborhood, most of our neighbors were very thankful to not have to deal with other customers and their loud, misbehaving animals.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I'll also add a personal story on this subject matter.

Awhile back I was attending college and was in a class with a guy that always brought his dog to the course. This dog was loud, she misbehaved, and whined thorough the duration of the class. This kept going for another 2 weeks.

I spoke to the lecturer and he told me he didn't want to risk any repercussions. Other students were visibly annoyed. I did the necessary research on campus rules and reported him to specific office that addresses these types of issues. He stopped bringing his dog to class. One week when the guy was absent, a woman in class told everyone how glad she was that the dog was gone because she was actually allergic to dogs. We all had a great laugh that day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll also add a personal story on this subject matter.

Awhile back I was attending college and was in a class with a guy that always brought his dog to the course. This dog was loud, she misbehaved, and whined thorough the duration of the class. This kept going for another 2 weeks.

I spoke to the lecturer and he told me he didn't want to risk any repercussions. Other students were visibly annoyed. I did the necessary research on campus rules and reported him to specific office that addresses these types of issues. He stopped bringing his dog to class. One week when the guy was absent, a woman in class told everyone how glad she was that the dog was gone because she was actually allergic to dogs. We all had a great laugh that day.
This is just another instance of one person thinking only of themself. The majority of the class had to suffer for the mental well-being of ONE person.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
On another site I moderate, there was a girl claiming that her redfoot tortoise was a support animal.

I wouldn’t have had any problem with this, if she wasn’t using it as an excuse to keep it in absolutely horrid conditions.

She was constantly dressing it up in a hot dog costume, and would only feed it broccoli and kale. To make matters worse, she only lets it eat at the table with her, and it is constantly roaming her floor.

She had an enclosure, but it was 3x3 feet at most. When it was brought up to her, she tried saying it was bigger than 8x4 feet because “they couldn’t get it through their door”. It was definitely only 3x3 at most.

When people started mentioning this to her and trying to get her to change things, she would always reply with
“My Care is perfect because he’s a support animal!” And block everyone who spoke to her.

Since I’m blocked by her, the most I can do is disable her posts for bad care :/