Enclosure advice/tips for hatchling Burmese Star Tortoise

Ishjohn

Location (City and/or State)
Chino, CA
1. You don't want MVBs or spot bulbs for basking. Both will cause pyramiding.

2. What is a temperature outlet? You'll need a thermostat to control the RHP, and a digital thermometer to tell the temperature around the enclosure and properly set the thermostat to the correct temperature.

3. Should be fine.

4. That one should be fine at the distance you are using it. Only a Solarmeter 6.5 can tell you if its strong enough.

5. In a closed chamber with damp substrate and a large water bowl, you shouldn't have to mist ever. If you do, there is too much ventilation, or not enough evaporation.
Thank you for all the advice.

1. I am currently acquiring 50 and 60 watt incandescent light bulbs. For the mean time, Do these work as well for now at least?

2. I was thinking of switching it with an Arcadia T5 HO 6% bulb. Would that be too strong? I also have a solar meter 6.5 coming but I am not quite sure how to use it. How would I know if it would be too blinding for my tortoise?

3. Alright that will probably easier once I have the RHP in hand as the temperature is inconsistent at the moment.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for all the advice.

1. I am currently acquiring 50 and 60 watt incandescent light bulbs. For the mean time, Do these work as well for now at least?

2. I was thinking of switching it with an Arcadia T5 HO 6% bulb. Would that be too strong? I also have a solar meter 6.5 coming but I am not quite sure how to use it. How would I know if it would be too blinding for my tortoise?

3. Alright that will probably easier once I have the RHP in hand as the temperature is inconsistent at the moment.
1. Should be fine if your thermometer says so.
2. Don't use the bulb until you have the meter. Once you have the meter, put it under the bulb and press the button. That will give you a UVI reading. As long as its 4-5 or under, you are fine. I would only run that bulb about 1-3 hours mid day on a timer, and make sure there is shade and lots of hiding areas for the tort.

Ishjohn

Chino, CA
2. Don't use the bulb until you have the meter. Once you have the meter, put it under the bulb and press the button. That will give you a UVI reading. As long as its 4-5 or under, you are fine. I would only run that bulb about 1-3 hours mid day on a timer, and make sure there is shade and lots of hiding areas for the tort.

Thank you so much for all the advice! So far here is an update. Right now, I am worried that it might be too hot or maybe too humid in the enclosure. Here are the numbers and pictures currently that it usually is around.

Left side currently is usually reading at 99% humidity and 85-87 degrees and right side is usually at 70-79% humidity and 90-95 degrees. Under the daylight heat lamp that I linked it is about 96-100 degrees.

What are your thoughts to improve these conditions? Is the humidity too high or temperature too hot? Thank you again for answering all my questions.

Attachments

• E5FDED00-7CCA-4419-B6E7-500C48625D4D.jpeg
    E5FDED00-7CCA-4419-B6E7-500C48625D4D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 6FA98249-F672-45AA-B736-1417C7A4B2B1.jpeg
    6FA98249-F672-45AA-B736-1417C7A4B2B1.jpeg
    510.6 KB · Views: 15
  • F0765DE2-A144-49BA-BBFE-57ACD387A551.jpeg
    F0765DE2-A144-49BA-BBFE-57ACD387A551.jpeg
    673.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 6A4B241C-1EC4-4973-B9D3-C1AF561B218F.jpeg
    6A4B241C-1EC4-4973-B9D3-C1AF561B218F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 82551F10-4755-4EA6-A60D-66FF234BB228.jpeg
    82551F10-4755-4EA6-A60D-66FF234BB228.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much for all the advice! So far here is an update. Right now, I am worried that it might be too hot or maybe too humid in the enclosure. Here are the numbers and pictures currently that it usually is around.

Left side currently is usually reading at 99% humidity and 85-87 degrees and right side is usually at 70-79% humidity and 90-95 degrees. Under the daylight heat lamp that I linked it is about 96-100 degrees.

What are your thoughts to improve these conditions? Is the humidity too high or temperature too hot? Thank you again for answering all my questions.

All of that sounds great. Stars like it hot. In the summer time my AMBIENT temps in my enclosures will get 93-95, and they STILL bask under the heat lamps!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
All of that sounds great. Stars like it hot. In the summer time my AMBIENT temps in my enclosures will get 93-95, and they STILL bask under the heat lamps!
Agree totally! Really different from sullys. My ambients run from 88 to 92 during the day and still basking. And from another post of urs she loves to eat late afternoon and stays up a lot later than mu sulcata. Very different and still learning her likes and dislikes

Ishjohn

Chino, CA
Oh sounds good! Day time heat temps should be good for now but just waiting on the panel for night temps to stay at 80 degrees.

One other thing is that you don't think the humidity is too high? Do you also have advice on how to get the humidity on the basking side to more than 80%?

I can't seem to get it higher than that. My digital thermometer/hygrometer is reading it at 99% so I'm assuming it might be more than that since it can't go higher than 99%

Thank you so much everything has been super helpful!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Your humidity level is great. You might be confused about relative humidity and the way it works.

Relative humidity is the % of the total amount of water vapor the air can hold at a certain temperature. So if you change the temperature - the relative humidity changes as warmer air can hold more water vapor. For example - in your case if you have 99% humidity and the temperature in your enclosure is 85°, if you change nothing and simply raise the temperature to 95° the relative humidity is now 72% since 95° air can hold more water vapor. Same air. Same amount of water vapor in the enclosure. Different temperature = different relative humidity.

So - If you have 99% humidity at the 85° end of the enclosure - it HAS TO BE 72% humididy at the basking area if it is 95° there!!

Most people don't relate to this in the winter time in our homes. If it is wet outside and raining = 99% humidity and it is 45° outside. When you take that air into your home and heat it to 72°, that same air is now at 37% humidity. So even though it rainy and wet outside, the house is at a dry humidity level.

Ishjohn

Chino, CA
Your humidity level is great. You might be confused about relative humidity and the way it works.

Relative humidity is the % of the total amount of water vapor the air can hold at a certain temperature. So if you change the temperature - the relative humidity changes as warmer air can hold more water vapor. For example - in your case if you have 99% humidity and the temperature in your enclosure is 85°, if you change nothing and simply raise the temperature to 95° the relative humidity is now 72% since 95° air can hold more water vapor. Same air. Same amount of water vapor in the enclosure. Different temperature = different relative humidity.

So - If you have 99% humidity at the 85° end of the enclosure - it HAS TO BE 72% humididy at the basking area if it is 95° there!!

Most people don't relate to this in the winter time in our homes. If it is wet outside and raining = 99% humidity and it is 45° outside. When you take that air into your home and heat it to 72°, that same air is now at 37% humidity. So even though it rainy and wet outside, the house is at a dry humidity level.
Thank you for that information. So everything is all good in my information in terms of humidity correct?

Ishjohn

Chino, CA
Agree totally! Really different from sullys. My ambients run from 88 to 92 during the day and still basking. And from another post of urs she loves to eat late afternoon and stays up a lot later than mu sulcata. Very different and still learning her likes and dislikes
Hello Tom! It seems like the rbi heat panel is sold out already as they cancelled my order. But I did find this as well. Would they work the same as well or would they not be ideal?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CYRL39I/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Thank you so much! It look like I will almost be done with controlling the temperatures and humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Tom! It seems like the rbi heat panel is sold out already as they cancelled my order. But I did find this as well. Would they work the same as well or would they not be ideal?

Thank you so much! It look like I will almost be done with controlling the temperatures and humidity.
Looks like its a similar product, but I have no experience using that. Give it a try and tell us how well it works.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

I've been following this thread. Since you are having trouble finding a Radiant heat Panel, I do have some in stock. Normally don't just sell panels as I install them as options in my enclosures, but would be willing to sell an 80 watt VE Heat panel to you. IF interested, PM me.

Reactions: Tom

Ishjohn

Chino, CA
Hello @Tom ,

I got my solar meter today and I'm not sure if I am using this correctly but I just placed it like this. Is this too much or too little. What are your suggestions or comments on running the uvb? Thank you.

John

Attachments

• 9D109F3F-8BB7-48E9-B323-3A3004723367.jpeg
    9D109F3F-8BB7-48E9-B323-3A3004723367.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • D33D3C33-7FFD-4FB9-9048-2A2F9ECDABA0.jpeg
    D33D3C33-7FFD-4FB9-9048-2A2F9ECDABA0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 504C6477-0302-41B5-8FCF-3866E58F978F.jpeg
    504C6477-0302-41B5-8FCF-3866E58F978F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Ishjohn

Chino, CA
Hello @Tom ,

I got my solar meter today and I'm not sure if I am using this correctly but I just placed it like this. Is this too much or too little. What are your suggestions or comments on running the uvb? Thank you.

John
EDIT: It is at about 5.6-6.3 under the UVB light.

Attachments

• 7E4275C6-5130-4917-8357-3020C257BD36.jpeg
    7E4275C6-5130-4917-8357-3020C257BD36.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 62BE4FD9-D362-4F27-B59F-8BB84BBDF1D9.jpeg
    62BE4FD9-D362-4F27-B59F-8BB84BBDF1D9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Salspi

Chicago
If you are raising baby burmese, you should look at how mark has setup his smart enclosures. Looks like yours is very well functioning also.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello @Tom ,

John
That is very strong UV. I would only run it for an hour or two mid day. That is all you need. This will make the bulb last a long tome to since its not running all day every day.

If you haven't done it yet, take your meter outside every hour from sun up to sun down, and write down the readings you get in full mid day direct sun. I'm getting a max of 1.6-1.8 right now in mid winter. In summer I can get 6.0-6.2. You'll be amazed at how little UV there is in the morning and early evening. Almost none.