Enclosure and setup for Russian hatchling questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

KassyO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mobile AL
OK, I have made the decision to get a baby Russian and I want to price out everything and make sure that I am getting fantastic products and have all the correct info to get my indoor enclosure ready before I get the little guy. I am sure that the basic guidelines for a RT enclosure have to be tweaked if you are getting a hatching so here are my main questions/concerns

• I have a glass enclosure that is 4' long 2' wide and 2' tall that opens with a magnetic latch in the front available to me. Is this ok for a small RT and does the fact that it is glass make any difference? If this is not ideal please let me know what is.
  • I live in southern Alabama on the coast and it is very humid here so will Aspen bedding be ok or should I go with another bedding even though the average humidity yearly is between 87% 62%?
  • When I set up the temps will the baby need the same temp as adults in the basking area day temp and night temp as an adult?
  • Are there are any products you would recommend or keep away from?
Also any other advice for getting everything set up and a list of things I will need would be GREATLY appreciated.

I just want to make sure that the little guy is super happy and healthy and most of all I want to set him up to grow into the best tort he could possible be =D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Enclosure sounds great for a baby...
I personally would not use the aspen, however I would use a mix that includes coco coir and cypress mulch (coco coir 30% and mulch 70%) I normally would not suggest mulch but in this case I would due to the constant humidity.
The baby will need the same temps, but hydration should be at the top of the checklist especially for a baby....I would be sure to provide alot of hiding/shade spots in the enclosure...

Now, my post here will give your thread a bump ....where I am sure the UBER EXPERIENCED RT caregivers will give you their first hand advise....

Oh, once you get your baby...we LOVE PICS :p

KassyO

5 Year Member
Mobile AL
Thanks for the info, I tried to read around before I posted a bunch of questions, but everything I was getting seemed to be for adults and I know so much of the details vary from species to species. I know that it will not stay that humid inside my house but overall this is a damp swampy part of the country and I don't want the little guy to stay soggy (like I feel all the time)

Thanks for the input it will be a huge help when I start getting things set up. Also I am an editor for a photography company so there will be floods of cute photos.

I am so excited I could burst :D

I also have not made the final decision on what breeder to buy from so if anyone has recommendations that would be awesome.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Same temps, same humidity (air humidity doesn't need to be as high as other torts, but substrate should be moist to touch underneath), same substrate as adults: cypress mulch and/or organic topsoil and/or coir. A mix is nice. Access to a shallow water dish. Some plants and hides.

Hatchlings like to hide a lot (so they don't get eaten), so be prepared for that.

It is awfully exciting to get a new friend who will last your entire life!

KassyO

5 Year Member
Mobile AL
Thanks a bunch! I think I am going with a Mario theme, I'll make the hides green pipes and bowsers castle,make the food table look like a star, basking spot a mushroom maybe. I made these ornaments for Christmas this year so I think I can find good materials that are safe but still keep the theme :D I'll make sure to take tons of photos

image-1181023184.png

also I'm still looking for a good reputable breeder

Lindsey123

5 Year Member
Washington
A Mario theme would be amazing!!! Be sure to post pics if you do!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.